• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left my job, now employer is slandering me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tara Lynch

About 2 months ago I left my job as a veterinary receptionist/assistant at a very small California hospital where the working conditions were just intolerable. My husband's aunt is a client there, and told me that she was told I didn't quit, that I was fired for "infecting some cats and one died". That is totally false, and I wouldn't know how to infect a cat if I wanted to. Can I sue on the grounds that they shouldn't be giving out that information, and that it is false information?

A

Attorney_Replogle

In order for you to sue the former employer for slander (which is spoken defamation) then you will have to prove how that slander has lowered your reputation in the community or otherwise harmed you. Being offensive to you, or just plain untrue, will at most amount to about $1.00s worth of damges awarded to you in court.

For more information on this aspect of defamation, go to http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/libel_and_slander/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">