• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leechris

I reside in Illinois. I learned 3/22/01 that a summary judgment was entered against my discrimination case and my lawyer has lost interest to appeal. Should I send my attorney a letter stating our contract is terminated? The judge did not impose any court costs. My contract states the lawyer does not get more money, other than the retainer, if we lose. To be brief, the defendant offerred us $10,000 to settle in July 2000 but I refused the offer since the case was worth up to $200,000. After I refused, my attorney slacked on his duties and did not put much effort into the case. He missed filing documents, didn't return phone calls, didn't return email, basically he ignored me. The lawyers I solicited to assume my appeal refused to take my case because they feared my attorney would file a lien against any future awards. Is it legal for a lawyer to file a lien on any future awards won on appeal (by a subsequent attorney) if the lawyer lost the initial complaint in summary judgment?

[Edited by leechris on 03-22-2001 at 10:55 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">