• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue somebody for not answering me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR

Long story short, someone I know has some information that I need, but refuses to speak to me. I don't even know why. He doesn't even have to speak, he could send me a letter, or a fax, or an email, or a text message, or a voice mail, or an actual phone call. Can I sue to get the information I need from this person? I'm not interested in money, I'd just like to drag his ass to court and make him talk. I'm not going to explain what kind of information I need from him, but I can leave that up for a judge to decide whether it should be forced from him or not. Do I even have a chance of winning something like that?

I can absolutely prove without a doubt that withholding this information has caused me undue pain and suffering.

You Are Guilty

Long story short, someone I know has some information that I need, but refuses to speak to me. I don't even know why. He doesn't even have to speak, he could send me a letter, or a fax, or an email, or a text message, or a voice mail, or an actual phone call. Can I sue to get the information I need from this person? I'm not interested in money, I'd just like to drag his ass to court and make him talk. I'm not going to explain what kind of information I need from him, but I can leave that up for a judge to decide whether it should be forced from him or not. Do I even have a chance of winning something like that?

I can absolutely prove without a doubt that withholding this information has caused me undue pain and suffering.
Not in a million years unless this person is under some sort of legal obligation (i.e. a contract) to provide you with the information you want.

Banned_Princess

This is the most hilariously stupid thing I have heard ever.

This person does not have to tell you anything, and he does not have to talk to you if he doesn't want to, why oh why do you think he would have to.

Your just going to have to live without knowing whatever it is.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Last edited:

cyjeff

Unless this information belongs to you via court order, no, there is nothing you can do.

Who wants to bet that this has something to do with a failed love connection and that the information falls into...

Who are you sleeping with?
Why did you leave?
Were you sleeping with him/her when you were with me?

kinda stuff?

Number21

What a bunch of helpful idiots. :rolleyes: The information is about missing property, which means most likely I could sue for money, but like I said that's not what I want. I want words.

Even if I lost, dragging his ass to court would be totally worth it. Then again, I could probably just send him a certified letter notifying him of a pending lawsuit...that alone would probably make him talk.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

What a bunch of helpful idiots.
Yes, there are certain circumstances under which you can file a suit against someone compelling them to give you information. In fact, there's a very famous case from New York that does just that.

You have not provided enough information to determine if you would succeed.

Banned_Princess

How would this poster even word the complaint in the lawsuit...

I think XXXX knows something I want to know and he wont tell me! I pray the judge will make him disclose the information immedeately!!!

Ha ha haha ha.

cyjeff

What a bunch of helpful idiots. :rolleyes: The information is about missing property, which means most likely I could sue for money, but like I said that's not what I want. I want words.

Even if I lost, dragging his ass to court would be totally worth it. Then again, I could probably just send him a certified letter notifying him of a pending lawsuit...that alone would probably make him talk.
And what a worthless post.

You gave us a post equal to the child's game of "guess what number I am thinking of".
If you want an exact answer, you have to give exact data.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Anyone can sue for anything, as long as you've got the filing fee.

However, that doesn't mean that you'll win. It doesn't mean he'll be forced to give you the time of day, let alone the information you want. And it doesn't mean you won't be sanctioned by the judge for filing a frivilous lawsuit.

Number21

I was being vague on purpose. :rolleyes: I'm not going to explain a bunch of my private life and pending legal matters to a bunch of strangers on the internet. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">