• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sold a laptop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sourhe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I sold an laptop on CL. The guy came to my house and we operated it for 30 min. Everything worked. He was satisfied, paid cash and left. (We didn't do a receipt). A few days later he calls and says the computer didn't work the day after he bought it and so he took it to a factory store to have it checked out. The tech there said that the computer had serious issues and I shouldn't have sold it to him. He said he either wanted his money back or to split the cost of the repair. ($300, I sold it to him for 325). I said that it worked when he left and it was a done deal. A fews weeks later I get a small claims court summons for the 325 plus court costs. Does he have a case?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I sold an laptop on CL. The guy came to my house and we operated it for 30 min. Everything worked. He was satisfied, paid cash and left. (We didn't do a receipt). A few days later he calls and says the computer didn't work the day after he bought it and so he took it to a factory store to have it checked out. The tech there said that the computer had serious issues and I shouldn't have sold it to him. He said he either wanted his money back or to split the cost of the repair. ($300, I sold it to him for 325). I said that it worked when he left and it was a done deal. A fews weeks later I get a small claims court summons for the 325 plus court costs. Does he have a case?
Most likely not , but what are the specific serious issues ?

What did your Ad state ?

Did the buyer provide you with the estimate of repair with the serious issues listed ?

sourhe

CL ad

"I have an IBook laptop that I no longer use, clean install w/ Tiger
still have the original box and papers
I will include the travel bag
everything works, nothing broken, no scratches

o M9846LL/A: (Retail $999) 1.33 GHz; 12 in display; 40 GB hard disk; slot-load combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
o 512 MB memory (expandable to 1.5 GB) at 333 MHz; ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 graphics processor with 32 MB video RAM; Sudden Motion Sensor
(parks the hard drive head if the iBook is dropped); scrolling trackpad; Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
o Slot-load combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)/SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
o AirPort Extreme Standard
o Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger"
iBooks offered several ports on their left side, including a Kensington Security Slot, modem, Ethernet, Firewire, 2 USB, video out and headphone."

he had a copy of the report, stated that the harddrive was making noises and the trackpad was not working.

cyjeff

CL ad

"I have an IBook laptop that I no longer use, clean install w/ Tiger
still have the original box and papers
I will include the travel bag
everything works, nothing broken, no scratches

o M9846LL/A: (Retail $999) 1.33 GHz; 12 in display; 40 GB hard disk; slot-load combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
o 512 MB memory (expandable to 1.5 GB) at 333 MHz; ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 graphics processor with 32 MB video RAM; Sudden Motion Sensor
(parks the hard drive head if the iBook is dropped); scrolling trackpad; Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
o Slot-load combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)/SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
o AirPort Extreme Standard
o Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger"
iBooks offered several ports on their left side, including a Kensington Security Slot, modem, Ethernet, Firewire, 2 USB, video out and headphone."

he had a copy of the report, stated that the harddrive was making noises and the trackpad was not working.
Were does it say, "As is"?

JETX

Were does it say, "As is"?
It doesn't have to say 'as is'. That is the case as a default... unless a warranty is provided.

To the OP.... respond to the notice with a 'general denial' asking for a hearing. Send to court AND plaintiff.
Then, on the date/time noticed, show up and present your case. Based solely on your post, I think you have a better than likely chance of defending against his claim.

cyjeff

It doesn't have to say 'as is'. That is the case as a default... unless a warranty is provided.
You mean like "everything works, nothing broken, no scratches".

I am not saying the OP will lose. I am saying I can see both sides.

FarmerJ

Plan on going to court , with computers once the buyer got it home there is no way to know what he added to it that could have changed the machine

sourhe

The computer did work when he left my house. If the trackpad wasn't working I think he would have noticed. It worked fine when I was showing the features and functions of the machine.

BL

The computer did work when he left my house. If the trackpad wasn't working I think he would have noticed. It worked fine when I was showing the features and functions of the machine.
Your argument will be you and the buyer spent at least a 1/2 an hour going over the features ( plenty of time to test it and see it work ) .

The buyer will have a ( i presume you mean factory authorized repair facility ) estimate of defects dated the next day.

That being the HD makes noise .

Your response will be , the buyer heard and seen the unit work at the time of sale . There was no warranty - stuff happens .

The buyer will say the trackpad doesn't work .

Your response will be , I showed him it worked the day of the sale . It worked .I don't know what he did with it from that time forward .

He had no problems with it the day of the sale. It obviously worked to his satisfaction and paid for it .

I will note : I find it ironic for CL's posters to include the original sales prices when selling an item that's not worth what they are asking for it .

Last edited:

sourhe

thank you all for the advice, hopefully the judge will see the same points.

regarding the retail price on ad, I had found a specifications page and copy/pasted, no edit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">