• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

workplace verbal abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alva58

i reside in rockford illinois. my employer has aquired a bad habit of yelling at me in front of anybody(co-workers,stockholders,antique dealers). it has been witnessed that i am the only employee out of 6 of us that is treated this way. the day i was fired i was trying to explain that i had taken care of a customer and she didn't have to look for the paperwork but i didn't get to. she jumped me before i could say i took care of it. it was all i could do to follow her yelling to her desk so i said "if you would slow down i could tell you i took care of it." i told her that snapping at people makes them not want to talk to her and could we move this to somewhere more private. she said to wait for her in the snack area. i did for approximately 5 minutes and decided to take a break to calm down. just as i had bought a soda and chips she came in and proceeded to tell me she was writing me up. i was incredulous to say the least. i asked her what about the talking we were coming here to do. she just wanted to write me up. i refused to sign anything until i talked to the owner because this was unfair. couldn't find him so the front desk person said to avoid her for the rest of the day and maybe we could talk reasonably on monday. i went back to my desk where 3 minutes later she fired me. i spoke to the owner later that same day and he told me i had to take what my boss gave me and that he knew she had a temper problem. is this actually legal and one week before my vacation eligibility. just in case someone says it is a legal termination in my opinion employers are like abusive parents and it's no wonder we haven't had more people going postal. because it is a proven fact that verbal abuse causes psychological damage and if parents are not allowed by law why are employers?

A

Attorney_Replogle

I don't know if your state has an at-will employment law. If you were considered to be at-will, I would say (though you don't want to hear it) that your termination was lawful. Further, at least in California, your employer or boss certainly doesn't have to be nice to you, or not to yell at you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">