• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm a fraud victim in the amount of $3,000. Please help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrd4LSU

In May 2009, I agreed to purchase some football season tickets from someone for $6,000. We both agreed to the terms & signed a written agreement of those stated terms. He used his company name Mosapics, LLC as the seller in our signed agreement. I live in Mississippi, and he is in Missouri.

I sent a $3,000 deposit in May & was supposed to pay him the remaining $3,000 upon delivery of the tickets in late August. When he failed to deliver the tickets in late August, I contacted him via e-mail & voicemail messages several dozen times to no avail. Finally, I received a response in early September from an associate of his that said I'd be receiving a $3,000 refund since he could not provide the tickets due to a family situation.

I was told the check was in the mail, but after several days of waiting for it, I contacted them again that I still needed a refund. I was then told that the CFO of the company would be signing & overnighting me a check via FedEx for $3,000. I received this check in late September & deposited it at my bank. I was notified a couple days later that it bounced because it was an NSF check.

I've sent several dozen more e-mails & voicemail messages, and I have not received a response.

I've already filled out a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but I'm not sure if that will get me anywhere.

So I'm currently out $3,000 & need some advice on what steps I should take to collect it.

Is small claims court the appropriate action? Should I hire an attorney, or try to do this myself?

Please advise. Thanks!

JETX

Is small claims court the appropriate action?
Just barely.

The limit of small claims in Missouri is $3,000.
Download a small claims form at: http://www.courts.mo.gov/file.asp?id=706

Then, contact the small claims court in the county where the business is located in Missouri and ask them for their address and how much the filing and service fees are. Fill it out and return it to the court with the required fee (filing and service). Then, on the time/date set by the court, travel to Missouri and present your case to the court.

Byrd4LSU

Appreciate the reply. Can I file in Mississippi where I live instead? Or does it have to occur in Missouri where he is located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">