• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water damage to a condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PattiAnn59

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
My mom lives in a large condo community in Ct. Several years ago, the rear basement foundation cracked and large quantities of water continued to come into the condo when ever it rained. The association continued to fight with her saying it wasn't their problem, until she hired a lawyer and all of a sudden the association agreed that they were responsible for the damage to her property caused by the cracked foundation. She had 2 remediation companies fix her unit. This took just about two years to complete because of the back and forth arguing. The association never paid the remediation companies, and they are now both coming after my mom for payment--one has threatened to put a lein on her condo. The two bills combined total just over $19,000. If the association chooses not to pay these bills, is my mom responsible for paying them?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
My mom lives in a large condo community in Ct. Several years ago, the rear basement foundation cracked and large quantities of water continued to come into the condo when ever it rained. The association continued to fight with her saying it wasn't their problem, until she hired a lawyer and all of a sudden the association agreed that they were responsible for the damage to her property caused by the cracked foundation. She had 2 remediation companies fix her unit. This took just about two years to complete because of the back and forth arguing. The association never paid the remediation companies, and they are now both coming after my mom for payment--one has threatened to put a lein on her condo. The two bills combined total just over $19,000. If the association chooses not to pay these bills, is my mom responsible for paying them?
**A: Mom needs to hire the same or another lawyer to sue the HOA. If payment is not made, yes the contractor can lien the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">