• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Atl: Me vs Big Corporation(Nissan)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irenicnoel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

Over the past 6 months, I've spent over $6,500 in repairs and services on my car. This would be upsetting if it were just bad luck, but it's doubly upsetting when it is the result of repeated misinformation and questionable business practices.

My car is a 2002 2.5 Altima. It's had numerous recalls involving components of its exhaust system, one of which ultimately was deemed to affect the engine. In late 2004, I took my car to a dealer who 'fixed' several of the recalls listed. Keep in mind, the parts in question, the catalytic converter and pre-catalytic converter, are designed to last over 100,000 miles and under Federally mandated warranty for 80,000.

A year ago, my check engine light came on. My car was under its extended warranty, and under 80,000 miles. They told me it was a loose gas cap and sent me on my way.

Six months ago, I failed an emissions inspection, to my surprise. I took the car to Nissan, who charged me $85 to 'diagnose' my vehicle and told me it was the Catalytic converter that needed replacing. My car at this point was outside Federal Warranty obligations, so they told me it would be $1200 to fix. I asked why it failed and explained I'd had the recalls pertaining to the catalytic converter performed at another dealer, which should mean, basically (according to mechanics I've asked), there's no way this part should have failed already. They said they had no record of what other dealers did, basically told me I was out of luck.

Not trusting Nissan farther than I could throw them at this point, I took my car to my local mechanic and had the catalytic converter replaced for half the cost. The light came on again. Turns out, it was my pre-catalytic converter, NOT the catalytic converter that was faulty. Now, I was angry. The recalls were specifically on the parts and problems that I ended up having on my car. If the recall was performed, why were they occuring?

I called Nissan North America and was told a number of run-arounds. First that they had 'no record' of what had actually been done to my car to repair the previous recalls, second that I'd have to go in to the dealer and get the car diagnosed by "a nissan mechanic" (and pay a fee, no doubt) in order for them to consider reimbursing me for the parts. One tech even attempted to read aloud the recalls to me and then told me, in all seriousness, that the pre-catalytic converter was not related to the exhaust system. (For those who aren't into cars, it basically *is* the exhaust system).

Discouraged and convinced Nissan would not help me as it was not in their financial interest, I went ahead and had the pre-catalytic converter replaced as well at my shop. Sorry to make this wordy, but so everyone understands - the specific issue with the part Nissan issued recalls on, the pre-catalytic converter, was that there was a design flaw. The part was made so poorly it had a tendency to literally fall apart, then suck the tiny shards of metal back up into the engine somehow. A loose screw used only compounded the problem. This is all according to public recall notices.

After $2500 in repairs, I was upset, but relieved I no longer had to miss work and my car would pass inspection.

Three weeks later, my engine died. A screw in the third cylinder compounded with metal fragments in the oil had blown out the engine, just as the recall notice from Nissan had warned. The mechanic who replaced my engine said he sees hundreds of cars like mine, with the same problem. The metal fragments in oil could only of gotten there from the part falling apart. And there's really no logical explanation that "normal wear and tear" could have caused these parts to fail.

So, I want to take Nissan to small claims court. Not the dealers, because while they were contributing to the problem, they themselves are not solely at fault. I know they have attorneys, but the dealerships themselves were following the advice/direction of corporate. One dealership is not solely responsible; the company itself is allowing cars that are defective and unsafe to be on the road to avoid it hitting their bottom line. I contacted corporate on 3 separate occasions attempting to find someone to help me, faxed over my copies of forms, slips, etc, and received not even an apology, just a phone call basically telling me I was out of luck. Assigned me a case number, and prayed I'd shut up and go away.

Nissan knows about this problem. Do a google search and you'll find hundreds of people who went through what I did with the 2002 2.5 Altima. In my case, of course, it was too late, and my engine was already ruined. It's only a matter of time before a class action lawsuit is formed, in my opinion.

I want to take Nissan through their registered agent to small claims court and ask for them to pay for the damages done to my car due to their admittedly faulty parts, inability or refusal to tell me what precisely was done to correct the recall on my car, and the damages I incurred as a result of being sold a knowingly faulty product.

My question is; am I just insane to think of doing this? I am a late 20s professional female, and I feel this corporation took advantage of me and is banking on the fact that I won't be able to do anything about it. Thing is, they may be right.

Does anyone have any experience with small claims? Do I have a chance, or will the corporate lawyers just blow me out of the water without a leg to stand on?

I've hopefully thought a demand letter might solve it, but then again? I'm sure they know what a pain it is to go to small claims, and could easily tell me to 'go away'.

racer72

I found a response I made to another thread a few days ago that is similar to your situation.

me in another post said:
I can guarantee that the case will not be heard in small claims court. The first thing WF (Nissan) will do is turn the lawsuit over to a large and experience lawfirm. The lawfirm will do 3 things almost immediately, ask that the lawsuit be dismissed, asked that it be moved to a higher court and as for discovery from you every financial document (taxes, paystubs, etc) you have ever come in contact with the past 5 years. If the lawsuit is not dismissed, they will bury you with more legalese and hyperbole than you could ever hope to handle in your lifetime. As you are walking out of the court after they destroy you and your lawsuit, they will as suggested above, serve you with a lawsuit for all their expenses in dealing with you. To use sports terminology, it would be like the Green Bay Packers playing your local junior high in a football game. No contest.
Big companies play hardball when it comes to lawsuits. I would suggest consulting with a local product liability attorney before doing anything else and determine if a lawsuit is actually feasible. Good luck, you will need it.

irenicnoel

Thanks for your response, I appreciate constructive criticism rather than telling me what I want to hear.

I guess my corollary is: it's only $6500, the exact cost of parts and labor alone, nothing more, due to their failure to correct numerous recall notices. I'm not out to fund my future kids' education. Nissan has substantial recall notices out that basically lay out, play by play, what will happen if the recall is not corrected. The recall notices describe almost precisely what happened to my car. In addition, Nissan has been unable to furnish me with information regarding what exactly was done to correct the 'recalls'. I have receipts, an incorrect 'diagnosis' bill from the dealer, contact attempts over 3 times with Nissan North America in writing, as well as testimony from two mechanics. I have documentation for every single event I've described, including a recent memo from late 2008 instructing dealers to 're-check' cars in a VIN range (which mine falls into) for potential engine failure.

Can they just dismiss all that and somehow get it moved to higher court for that? Strike that, of course they *can*. I guess what I mean is, I'm doing this on principle more than for money, and this company has been knowingly dishonest. Corporations do this all the time, I know, but is truly the only way to get a response from a class action lawsuit? Because at this point, if so, I'd be happy to start a website advocating one.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You have no claim against Nissan. Your claim(s) would be against the dealers.

Nissan didn't take advantage of you, their dealers did. Their dealers are independent of Nissan.

ETA:

Did you buy this car new? If you bought it new, why didn't you respond to the recall notices? If you bought it used, did you check on recalls for the car? Did you inform Nissan that you now owned this vehicle so that you could be kept up to date about recalls?

irenicnoel

Hi -

Yes, I purchased the car new. Yes, I have kept my info updated via the Nissan website for owners. I received the recall notices and subsequently took them to the dealers to have the recalls 'repaired' well within the appropriate time frames. Two different Nissan dealers performed the recalls (there have been over 20 on my model of car), or said they did, and sent me on my way. They did not, however, replace the parts, as per two independent mechanics, so they must have just 'inspected' and deemed them to be fine, conveniently while my car was still under warranty. A year later, suddenly the parts fail? Not likely.

According to the recall notices, it is up to the discretion of the dealer to inspect or repair the parts, but Nissan North America is ultimately who issues the recall notices. If it's more suitable for me to serve the dealer instead, that's fine, I get that.

Nissan N. America, when I contacted them, informed me they only keep track of whether or not a dealer notated the VIN as "fixed" in the database, not the actual work done to repair the recall. That's my entire point, really. No one can tell me what was done to fix my car or why two dealers failed to recognize issues related to recall notices, not to mention the initial mis-diagnosis, despite numerous requests in writing and otherwise. Dealer tells me to call Nissan NA, Nissan NA tells me to call dealer, etc etc. Bottom line, these issues could have been detected and fixed/prevented while my car was under warranty or if they had correctly addressed the recalls in the first place.

And these are not damages that would be due to normal wear and tear - ie, my engine was blown out due to a screw in the 3rd cylinder and internal corrosion from metal in the oil. It's not plausible the pre-catalytic converter, catalytic converter (part of the exhaust system) and engine would all fail within a month, even if I were off-roading the tiny thing in the Rockies without oil. These are parts designed to last 100k miles +; normally, a catalytic converter's failure would not affect the engine other than to trigger that annoying "check engine" light.

Bottom line, I despise frivilous lawsuits. I'm not out to waste anyone's time or money, and I've never taken anyone or any company to court before. Honestly, this would be easier to handle if I could blame myself for it and chalk it up to experience. My issue, as I said, is the principle. If they'd fixed the recalls as addressed, fine. But this doesn't add up. The systematic failure of these parts is something the recalls, properly performed, were designed to prevent. Obviously, they did not, and were dishonest about it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi -

Yes, I purchased the car new. Yes, I have kept my info updated via the Nissan website for owners. I received the recall notices and subsequently took them to the dealers to have the recalls 'repaired' well within the appropriate time frames. Two different Nissan dealers performed the recalls (there have been over 20 on my model of car), or said they did, and sent me on my way. They did not, however, replace the parts, as per two independent mechanics, so they must have just 'inspected' and deemed them to be fine, conveniently while my car was still under warranty. A year later, suddenly the parts fail? Not likely.
This makes things even more clear. You *may* be able to recover from one or both dealers. You definitely do NOT have a case against Nissan.

irenicnoel

Thanks for the candor, appreciate it (not sarcastically!). I'm going to try my best, and if I'm tackled, well, just one game.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">