• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an individual garnish my wages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sylvanareinig6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM
Someone has gotten a judgement against me and my ex boyfriend for $2200 in small claims in Oregon. Now I live in New Mexico. Can they garnish my wages? Ex boyfriend lives in Washington.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM
Someone has gotten a judgement against me and my ex boyfriend for $2200 in small claims in Oregon. Now I live in New Mexico. Can they garnish my wages? Ex boyfriend lives in Washington.
Yes they can with a court order. Pay your bills.

racer72

The plaintiff will have to domesticate the judgment in order to garnish wages. In Washington, a domestication hearing is almost like the initial trial, the defendant can defend the domestication as if was the original trial. If granted, the debtor will then have a judgment that can be used in Washington to garnish wages, levy bank accounts and place liens on property. New Mexio's laws are similar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">