• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drewguy

Come on, it's not that hard:

You have the right to trim the branches of your neighbor's tree up to the property line, so long as doing so does not kill the tree. Same for the roots.

If the tree is hazardous, you should write a letter, return receipt requested, informing the neighbor of its danger and requesting that he remove it. He is then on notice and responsible for any damages to your house/property if it falls.

Kiawah

Come on, it's not that hard:

You have the right to trim the branches of your neighbor's tree up to the property line, so long as doing so does not kill the tree. Same for the roots.

If the tree is hazardous, you should write a letter, return receipt requested, informing the neighbor of its danger and requesting that he remove it. He is then on notice and responsible for any damages to your house/property if it falls.

That's funny..... you're good!

Standard question # 62, standard answer # 114

I actually thought it was #63, who has to pay to clean up a tree that fell on my property and broke my fence.

drewguy

You're right. I forgot that possibility.

So, revise my answer:

Generally if your neighbor's tree falls on your property, you bear the burden of cleaning it up (to the extent it's on your property) and he is not responsible for damage to your property. The exception is the situation described above--where your neighbor knew the tree was hazardous.

HomeGuru

You're right. I forgot that possibility.

So, revise my answer:

Generally if your neighbor's tree falls on your property, you bear the burden of cleaning it up (to the extent it's on your property) and he is not responsible for damage to your property. The exception is the situation described above--where your neighbor knew the tree was hazardous.
**A: no, the question was who is responsible when the tree is stradled on the property line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">