• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Access to public lands?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenhoffman2876

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

Hello all I have a different then normal question for you all.

Growing up I hunted on Wildlife Management Area land owned by Army Corps of Engineers, Part of the Phillpot Lake Resivor area. This portion of land is set way bay from the general road access points (public parking ares) and has been accessed via an access road that has always been there.

This road (access or logging) has always been there and for a good period of time (prior to 1992 when I started using it) the centerline denoted property boundaries and one side was owned by a family friend. Recently (less than a year) due to poor health the family friend sold this property to an adjoining land owner. As soon as this purchase was made (both sides of road now) that owner has placed a gate blocking access to this land.

In the past there has been some folks poaching back there (gov't land) so I see where he could be coming from and in the past there has been a silent tolerance between his family and that of myself and friends familiy (in the past his boys would ride 4 wheelers right past our blinds while we out hunting) all that to the side. Is there any laws allowing us access as I don't think this is a deeded ROW (research still needed to determaine).

I went into the Army in '98 and speratically have used the access however my friends family have used it since the mid 1980's.

I just want to know if there are any laws governing this issue before I approch the land owner (in the event he is brash)

I belief is he is trying to block access to these lands as only other way to access is by boat. This portion of land has alot of wildlife to includ "trophy" game which I think is his desire (I've only ever shot does and one 3 point button buck).

Thanks and sorry for being so long winded.

-Linwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">