• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claim against schmuck who won't pay my last invoice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeorgeSpelvin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I do a little part-time consulting work as an independent consultant. I worked for one small business for about six months. No written contract in place; I knew the people involved and had worked for them previously. Given the history and the small amounts of work involved ($500-$1000/month), I didn't put a written contract in place. However, I do have many emails in which the owner has authorized the work and agreed to pay the rate charged and the hours worked per task, etc. I also have invoices for each of the last several months, along with the corresponding checks paid to me by the business (which I think clearly show the arrangement).

The owner told me about a month ago that it would be the last month that I would be providing the services to them due to some changes in their operation. (I suspect some financial problems but have no way to confirm this). I was fine with that and there was no indication of a problem. I submitted my final invoice, nothing unusual, and expected my final payment.

Unfortunately, this schmuck figures that since he doesn't need me to do future work for him, he doesn't have to bother paying my final invoice. He will not respond to calls, emails, or letters and no check has arrived.

We're only talking about $1200 but there's a principle involved. It's called getting paid for work performed!

Any ideas on what kind of case I have in Small Claims Court (Magistrate's Court actually, in Georgia). Honestly, I just want to make this guy expend $1200 in his time and effort, whether I get the money back or not. We had a relationship of trust and good faith and he basically violated that over a measley $1200 -- and I suspect he's done it to others.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is not personal, it's just business...

Sue the bad guy in small claims court. Present your evidence and he'll present his. Then the judge will rule. If you win, you can proceed with collection efforts (according to state law)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">