• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor's tree is out of control

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yanksin3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Last year I noticed cracks in my basement wall and moisture was getting in. It turns out the neighbor's large tree has roots growing right into my basement!
I asked the neighbor to help pay for the removal of the roots and he laughed in my face. I didn't know what to do, so I just had the cracks patched and hoped for the best.
Now I can see that more cracks are developing and the problem is just going to get worse. What can I do legally? Does my neighbor have any responsibility for his tree?
I realize he can't control where the roots grow, but shouldn't he have gotten rid of the tree once I told him about the problem? Can he continue to have a tree that causes damage to my property? I just want that tree gone so the roots stop growing.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Last year I noticed cracks in my basement wall and moisture was getting in. It turns out the neighbor's large tree has roots growing right into my basement!
I asked the neighbor to help pay for the removal of the roots and he laughed in my face. I didn't know what to do, so I just had the cracks patched and hoped for the best.
Now I can see that more cracks are developing and the problem is just going to get worse. What can I do legally? Does my neighbor have any responsibility for his tree?
I realize he can't control where the roots grow, but shouldn't he have gotten rid of the tree once I told him about the problem? Can he continue to have a tree that causes damage to my property? I just want that tree gone so the roots stop growing.
Generally, the part of the tree that is on your property belongs to you. I suppose you could dig down and cut the roots, so long as the cuts are on your property.

A few hours with a backhoe and a chainsaw should fix you up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">