• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won Default Judgment, But now they motioned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mateo87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois (Cook County)

I saw online today that there was a motion filed by the defense yesterday. I imagine it is to vacate the default judgment entered against them on 9/22 (haven't received service yet). They were properly served (by sheriff service), and I testified that I had contact the other party to resolve the problem as well as the week before the court date to notify them. Also, I have a letter from their attorney that has the case number on it, so they knew about the case. They judge heard our side and awarded us $1600 of the $9900 that we claimed (not a problem, that was the amount we were truly out).

My question is how to approach the motion when we go to court on 10/20. Is it usually cut and dry, the order will be vacated because the motion was filed within 30 days? Or will the court take into consideration that a judge has heard our argument, considered our evidence, and that the other party is blatantly delaying the case? What should I do or say to argue the vacating?

THANKS!

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois (Cook County)

I saw online today that there was a motion filed by the defense yesterday. I imagine it is to vacate the default judgment entered against them on 9/22 (haven't received service yet). They were properly served (by sheriff service), and I testified that I had contact the other party to resolve the problem as well as the week before the court date to notify them. Also, I have a letter from their attorney that has the case number on it, so they knew about the case. They judge heard our side and awarded us $1600 of the $9900 that we claimed (not a problem, that was the amount we were truly out).

My question is how to approach the motion when we go to court on 10/20. Is it usually cut and dry, the order will be vacated because the motion was filed within 30 days? Or will the court take into consideration that a judge has heard our argument, considered our evidence, and that the other party is blatantly delaying the case? What should I do or say to argue the vacating?

THANKS!
First of all, until you get served, there's really nothing you can do. Second, you don't know for sure what kind of motion they're bringing. It could be a motion to vacate, a motion for an appeal on the judgment, it could be a motion requesting payments, there are several different kinds of motions they could file. You need to wait until you know for sure just what kind of motion before you seek advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">