• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims court meaning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

socalfem

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca
MINUTES FINALIZED FOR ORDER TO SHOW CAUSE RE: DISMISSAL 01/07/2009 01:30:00 PM. 01/07/2009

COURT ORDERED ENTIRE ACTION DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE . 01/07/2009

CASE DISMISSED WITH DISPOSITION OF COURT DISMISSAL- LACK OF PROSECUTION 01/07/2009

ORDER TO SHOW CAUSE RE: DISMISSAL SCHEDULED FOR 01/07/2009 AT 01:30:00 PM IN H11 AT HARBOR

Can anyone tell me what this "COURT ORDERED ENTIRE ACTION DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE" ????
I went on court web site and see that the prior tenant took LL to small claims court, but I don't know what this means and why he did it.
any help would be appreciated !!

JETX

Edit your post to get rid of the all caps. They are considered SHOUTING and is both rude and disrespectful to the forum members.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wikipedia's good enough for this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prejudice_%28legal_procedure%29

Within legal civil procedure, prejudice refers to a loss or injury, and refers specifically to a formal determination against a claimed legal right or cause of action. [1] Thus, in a civil case, dismissal without prejudice is a dismissal that allows for re-filing of the case in the future. The present action is dismissed but the possibility remains open that the plaintiff may file another suit on the same claim. The converse phrase is dismissal with prejudice, in which the plaintiff is barred from filing another case on the same claim. Dismissal with prejudice is a final judgment and the case becomes res judicata on the claims that were or could have been brought in it. Dismissal without prejudice is not.

socalfem

Edit your post to get rid of the all caps. They are considered SHOUTING and is both rude and disrespectful to the forum members.
I copied and pasted the question from a court document.....I wasn't SHOUTING !!! or being rude or disrespectful to anyone.....court was not in session....sorry to forum members but not you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I copied and pasted the question from a court document.....I wasn't SHOUTING !!! or being rude or disrespectful to anyone.....court was not in session....sorry to forum members but not you
Sorry I helped...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">