• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Authorized work for employer and business closed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Knucklehead

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

As a construction supervisor for a home builder, it was a regular part of my duties to obtain and approve bids and estimates from various sub-contractors. The company closed down and did not pay one of the invoices I had approved. That unpaid sub-contractor has filed a suit in small claims court naming me personally as the defendant and are attempting to collect the full amount of the invoice ($800). I sent a letter to this company and explained I didn't own the property and was working on behalf of the home builder and that they should pursue the them, not me. They haven't responded and we have a hearing late this week. Any suggestions?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

As a construction supervisor for a home builder, it was a regular part of my duties to obtain and approve bids and estimates from various sub-contractors. The company closed down and did not pay one of the invoices I had approved. That unpaid sub-contractor has filed a suit in small claims court naming me personally as the defendant and are attempting to collect the full amount of the invoice ($800). I sent a letter to this company and explained I didn't own the property and was working on behalf of the home builder and that they should pursue the them, not me. They haven't responded and we have a hearing late this week. Any suggestions?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I suggest you appear at the hearing...
You might want to run your paperwork by an attorney to see if you might have left yourself on the hook here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">