• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renter as Board Member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sergioman

Hi All,
What are the laws against or for renters being on a HOA board? Our CC&R's currently allow it, why I don't know, but I and many others are against it. We currently have a situation where a renter was nominated, by another home owner, to run for a board position. The nomination form itself is only for nominating yourself and you must be in good standing. Can the lanlord nominate his renter and does the renter need a power of attorney to run?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

Hi All,
What are the laws against or for renters being on a HOA board? Our CC&R's currently allow it, why I don't know, but I and many others are against it. We currently have a situation where a renter was nominated, by another home owner, to run for a board position. The nomination form itself is only for nominating yourself and you must be in good standing. Can the lanlord nominate his renter and does the renter need a power of attorney to run?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: only condo owners are allowed to serve on the Board period.

sergioman

**A: only condo owners are allowed to serve on the Board period.
Even if it states that it's OK for a renter to serve in our CC&R's? I really hope so. Do you know of any similar legal cases? Our property owner continues to tell us that legal because of CC&R's we have to let them run and serve.

HomeGuru

Even if it states that it's OK for a renter to serve in our CC&R's? I really hope so. Do you know of any similar legal cases? Our property owner continues to tell us that legal because of CC&R's we have to let them run and serve.
**A: since you have not followed posting instructions, I am unable to help you.

sergioman

**A: since you have not followed posting instructions, I am unable to help you.
What do you mean I have not followed posting instructions?

By the way, this condo is in California.

Here is what is stated in our By-Laws not in our CC&R.

Article V
BOARD OF DIRECTORS: SELECTION: TERM OF OFFICE
section 1 Number. The affairs of the Association shall be managed by a Board of 3 directors who need not be members of the Association.

ARTICLE VIII
NOMINATION AND ELECTION OF DIRECTORS
Section 1. Nomination. Nominations for the office of a member of the Board of Directors shall be made by a Nominating Committee consisting of a chairman, who shall be a member of the Board of Directors, and two (2) or more Members of the Association, all of whom shall be appointed by the Board of Directors prior to each annual meeting until the close of the next annual meeting. The Nominating Committee shall make as many nominations for election to the Board of Directors as it shall in its discretion determine, but not less than the number of vacancies that are to be filled. Nominations may also be made by Members from the floor at the annual meeting or such other meeting at which members of the Board of Directors are to be elected. Such nominations may be made from among members or non-members.

Last edited:
Interesting that the Docs allow such a thing. I am interested to hear from the gurus around here on this one.

Perhaps there is a State law that supersedes this?

FlyingRon

Don't know about California, but they don't need to be recorded here. The HOA does need to properly enact / change them and they are required to be officially disclosed by the HOA (at the seller's expense) during property sale transaction. Changing them requires official notice by first class mail so they assume you are properly informed of proposed changes after the sale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">