• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whistleblower, ethics, and compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DennisK

I currently am employed for a company that installs Closed Circuit camera systems. I have found out recently that my company does not hold the correct licensing in order to install these units. During the last year, I was promised this, that and the other as far as raises go and needless to say I have had to fight for the little they gave me. I have questions that relate to this:

1. Can I be a whistleblower against this company and be personally protected?

2. For past verbal contracts made and broken by my employer to me, is there any possibility that I could gain compensation from them in civil proceedings?

My problem is that I am currently attending school to be a licensed journeyman (electric) and without the proper licensing of my current employer. The last year that I have spent working for them doesn't count as experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Living in Florida.

A

Attorney_Replogle

1. Protection for being a whistleblower is available. What that really entails though is you actually informing the appropriate agency about the unlawful conduct of the employer. Also, remember that by protection, this does not guarantee that the employer won't take any unlawful action against you, such as firing you. What it does guarantee is that you have a statutory cause of action against the employer, as well as some very good potential damages to collect.

2. Whether you can enforce the oral contracts depends on too many variables such as the nature of them, your state's laws, who made them, what was the title of the person making the contract, what actions were taken (if any) that could be interpretted as partial/full compliance with the contracts, etc.

So, do speak with a local employment law attorney to assist you in this matter. You should be able to find one either at https://attorneypages.com, or through a legal insurance plan such as the one at https://law.freeadvice.com/resources/legalplans/index.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">