• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Noise Ordinance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madjayray

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Is there a noise ordinance in California? We have lived in this home for 3 years and have played drums in the garage all of these 3 years. We don't begin until around noon and are finished no later than 6 or 7pm. Each session only lasts about 15 minutes. We consider ourselves reasonable people. We have recently gotten a new neighbor and he calls the police each time we begin. Even on weekends. Is there set times that we can make noise or should we never touch our set?

Alex23

It depends on the city you live in. Did you go online and read the municipal code?

If you were my neighbor I would call the police, too. I think it's time to consider buying some digital drum pads or rent a practice space.

madjayray

NCO's

Thank you for your quick response.
I did check the city ordinance.
Title 10 PUBLIC PEACE, MORALS AND WELFARE
Chapter 10.60 NOISE CONTROL

"create a sound level that exceeds the background sound level by at least 10 dBA during daytime hours (seven a.m. to ten p.m.) and by at least 5 dBA during nighttime hours (ten p.m. to seven a.m.) when measured at or within the real property line of the receiving property,"

Merced's Board of Supervisors has assigned Sherriff's Department as Noise Control Officers.

It seems that a test is in order to see if we are beyond the limit or not. My next question is - Who should require the test (copcaller or myself) and who pays for it?" -

My child is in the school band and must practice. Electronic drum pads cost a great deal and I have already purchased this kit. I do rent a practice space.
I feel as though this unreasonable man (as police officers have called him) is trying to bully me. We have tried to mediate with this man in presence of police with no luck. I am just looking for some kind of rights. I must have some, right? Who can I turn to?

FlyingRon

That's an odd statute. Just normal talking can get up into the 20 dbA range over the ambient, at 10dba you'll just barely be able to hear it over the background. I can almost certainly guarantee that if you he can tell you are playing the drums at his place, you're in violation.

Anyhow, I'm sure anyplace that has "noise control officers" and goofy ordinances like that has equipped those officers with SPL meters at no charge to the citizenry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">