• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor painted fence on property line NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doogy196

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC NY
I purchased my home two years ago from family. The house is attached on one side. There is a small brick wall center of the property with a iron fence and railing on top of the wall that was installed by my family that originally owned the house. It was painted white to match the rest of my fencing. But my neighbor decided that they wanted to paint the fence black. They feel the fence is theirs. Now I have one black fence and one white fence leading to my entrance. What can I do? Can I repaint it? Can I remove it?

drewguy

Determine whose fence it is. If it's yours you can remove it or repaint it. If it's theirs, then no you can't. If it's a common fence then you'll have to work it out. Seems pretty rude of them to unilaterally do that, unless they had a good reason to think the fence was theirs.

BTW, by "yours" I mean "on your property". If your family installed the fence on their property then the fence is theirs unless you can establish adverse possession or can establish that because you installed it you have the right to move it to your property after installing it on theirs by mistake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">