• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not paying on a judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eli4625

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN
Back in August I was sued for an old credit card debt. I agreed to pay $60 a month and made the Sept payment. Now the Oct. payment is due and I have decided to file bankruptcy and will be filing the week of Nov. 9th. So my question is what will happen if I don't pay and before I get the bankruptcy filed?

Once I get it filed do I just then give the collection agency/attorney firm that case number? How quickly can the law firm go back into small claims court and get a freeze on my banking account or garnishment?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN
Back in August I was sued for an old credit card debt. I agreed to pay $60 a month and made the Sept payment. Now the Oct. payment is due and I have decided to file bankruptcy and will be filing the week of Nov. 9th. So my question is what will happen if I don't pay and before I get the bankruptcy filed?

Once I get it filed do I just then give the collection agency/attorney firm that case number? How quickly can the law firm go back into small claims court and get a freeze on my banking account or garnishment?
Ask your BK attorney these questions.

racer72

Just tell the creditor if they call you are filing bankruptcy. You will likely have to put up with phone calls till the day you file.

I am doing this all myself, can't afford an attorney, barley can afford the filing fee.
Once you file and inform them you're filed they legally cannot call you or try to collect until the judge rules. They might keep trying but if they do they're breaking federal law and I would document it and keep any evidence. Bankruptcy is supposed to work by you not making payments anymore and instead using that money to hire an attorney. I wouldn't rush into filing. If you have used credit in the last 6 months I would wait. Save money and try to get a lawyer. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">