• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EX Employers were a no show !

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tdud

I live in INdiana and was fired from a company I worked for for 14years - I filed for unemployment and they denied me saying that I was fired for JUST CAUSE - I did not agree and appealed their descion = the court date came and they NEVER SHOWED UP !! now I am sitting here waiting for the judges descion (which will come to me by mail) but can you tell me some reasons why an employer WOULDNT show up to a hearing especially since they denied me once - you would think they would fight me - how can a judge make a desicion on this case when I couldnt even make ANY statements or give any of my evidence BECAUSE the employers didnt show up- This is a well known company and a very large one at that - so I cant imagine they would just NOT SHOW up = I am just a litte confused....THANKS

[Edited by Tdud on 03-22-2001 at 09:44 PM]

A

Attorney_Replogle

I can't give you any reasons as to why an employer would not show up for an appeal of an unemployment matter. Perhaps some of my fellow attorneys who represent labor could. In my few times of handling such matters for clients (the reason most attorneys rarely get invovled in these is that they take too much time and you can't charge much for them), there was always an opportunity for the person appealing to make his/her case.

You have to remember that such tribunals are what is known as administrative law matters/courts. Thus, your opportunities to present evidence are strictly defined by each agency. So, if you missed your opportunity, or didn't present the evidence in the right fashion, then they don't (and won't) consider it.

If you lose on this appeal, you probably have the right to appeal that decision to a court of law. However, do check with a local employment law attorney on this. You can find one at https://attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">