• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

in current litigation and don't understand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luism3medina

I live in Denver, CO., I'am involved in a large litigation that is nationwide. Well it is a discrimination lawsuit, and there is a Law Firm that had brought the charges to the company.And right now I'am close to the mediation segment,and I'am confused as ever. Well my question is I have sat down with the lawyers, and they told me that I was at a certain settlement brackett, which is $0-$25,000. Because of lack of Info,and medicinal treatment documents,(such as a statement of treatment from a doctor and or psychiatrist.)I'am not happy with the offer, or "Brackett"they have me at and would like to know if I'am able to request a larger pay brackett?They sort of polished me off and want to get to the next client it seems. When I know I have a legitiment case that i have filed. And I also want to know is that if I wasn't able to recieve the medical treatment before when the incident took place and after, that if a doctor, and/or pyschiatrist diagnosis of myself is still submissable?

racer72

What most likely happened in your situation. A settlement was reached between the plaintiffs (you and all the others) and the defendants. If the court agrees to the settlement, you will be paid according to your bracket. From the settlement amount, the lawyers and court costs gets paid first. From what is left is divided between all the plaintiffs. By dividing the settlement amount less expenses by the claims from all the plaintiffs, a percentage is derived which will determine how much each plaintiff receives. For example, if the percentage is 40%, if someone has a claim for $50,000, that person will only receive $20,000. Like you, no one is getting the full amount they want but they will have to accept it or go without. The reason for the brackets is how the payout will be paid. Those in the lowest bracket will be paid their claim all at once. Those in other brackets will have their settlement divided and paid over a set period of time. The settlement agreement will make the company judgement proof for the same thing and you will have to sign a release saying you will not sue for the same thing before you will receive any of the payout. You cannot add any other claims to the suit, there was probably a cut off date for any claims to be added to the suit.

[Edited by racer72 on 03-23-2001 at 10:47 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">