• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will i be in more trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Falula

I am in California. I did a Web site for a friend's company. Because he only worked for the company, he suggested I put together a contract for him to sign so that if he left, I could still get paid for my services by the owner. On the contract, I called myself "top ten designs." My friend did in fact leave the company and now I am having problems getting the remainder of the money from the owner.

I am planning on taking him to court to recover the rest of the money, but my questions are these:
- I do not have a business license. Will I get myself into more trouble if I pursue legal action? For something like this, where I was an independent contractor, do I need a business license? By calling myself "top ten designs" on the contract, did I somehow imply that I was a business? The check was written to me personally though...

If there are any lawyers out there I would love some advice.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">