• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking advice on reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crissy861

What is the name of your state (only U.S.) New Hampshire. Events mentioned occured in Massachusetts.

I had a falling out with my roommate and things got out of control. I ended up getting a restraining order. But the court/judge never had him taken off the lease. The restraining order is up now and the predicament I find myself in now is this: First, I endured the emotional stress and anxiety as well as the verbal and physical abuse from Gersson for as long as I could until the court removed him. Then I bore the financial burden of the apartment for as long as I could until had no choice but to pack up, leave, and take a hit. Then I dealt with the collection agency and sacrificed my taxes and college tuition to pay them off. Gersson, however, was allowed to move out in one day one without being required to pay any rent, fees or penalties.

-- Unfortunately, the restraining order stated that during the time it was in effect, Gersson was not responsible for rent or utility payments. My request here is not compensation for the entirety of what would have been his half of all the debt I payed. Originally I would have liked to split the lease breaking fee and be done with it. I'm requesting compensation for half of the amount payed at the end to the debt collectors, about $1,400.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S.) New Hampshire. Events mentioned occured in Massachusetts.

I had a falling out with my roommate and things got out of control. I ended up getting a restraining order. But the court/judge never had him taken off the lease. The restraining order is up now and the predicament I find myself in now is this: First, I endured the emotional stress and anxiety as well as the verbal and physical abuse from Gersson for as long as I could until the court removed him. Then I bore the financial burden of the apartment for as long as I could until had no choice but to pack up, leave, and take a hit. Then I dealt with the collection agency and sacrificed my taxes and college tuition to pay them off. Gersson, however, was allowed to move out in one day one without being required to pay any rent, fees or penalties.

-- Unfortunately, the restraining order stated that during the time it was in effect, Gersson was not responsible for rent or utility payments. My request here is not compensation for the entirety of what would have been his half of all the debt I payed. Originally I would have liked to split the lease breaking fee and be done with it. I'm requesting compensation for half of the amount payed at the end to the debt collectors, about $1,400.
Was the restraining order court ordered OR a consent entry? You probably will not win because the COURT ORDERED you to be responsible and relieved Gersson of his responsibilities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">