• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resignation--2wks denied w/o pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hclubb

I turned in my letter of resignation due to finding a more suitable job at a local competitor. I was asked to vacate my office and to go to HR for my exit interview. During this interview, I was told insurance payments would still be coming out of my next check--though insurance was null from that day forward. (They did disclose COBRA.) Also, I had 4 1/2 days of vacation left and they are paying this. My question is, since I was fully prepared to complete my 2 weeks notice, is the employer responsible for that 2 wks pay since they told me I needed to leave? and Can they still take out insurance payments when I am no longer receiving the service? (Missouri)

A

Attorney_Replogle

You will want to verify my answers with a local employemnt law attorney, OK? First, I am assuming that your state has an at-will employment policy. So, assuming further that you were not a union employee, and were at-will, then the employer surely doesn't have to keep you around for the final two weeks. Nor do they have to pay you for those two weeks. Next, I am pretty confident that you will find that the insurance premium is not refundable nor is pro-rated for individual employees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">