• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When a case is closed can they file another claim for the same thing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Supaguy78

T

If the defendant shows and the plaintiff doesn't and that is how the case was dismissed, can the plaintiff sue the defendant again to be more specific?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the defendant shows and the plaintiff doesn't and that is how the case was dismissed, can the plaintiff sue the defendant again to be more specific?
Definitely maybe.

(What is the exact wording of the dismissal?)

Mass_Shyster

OK, now I know there was no judgment, so Res Judicata doesn't apply.

Next question: Was the case dismissed with prejudice, or was the case dismissed without prejudice?

Zig - please pass the pliers

Isis1

OK, now I know there was no judgment, so Res Judicata doesn't apply.

Next question: Was the case dismissed with prejudice, or was the case dismissed without prejudice?

Zig - please pass the pliers
what? no laughing gas? :eek:

Supaguy78

They dismissed the case for the plaintiff not showing. What I'm asking is can the plaintiff re file for the same suit if the defendant showed and the case was dismissed?

Isis1

They dismissed the case for the plaintiff not showing. What I'm asking is can the plaintiff re file for the same suit if the defendant showed and the case was dismissed?
you stil haven't answered the question.

was the case dimissed with prejudice or not????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">