• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hotel rooms I booked can't be cancelled, can I cancel my credit card?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

you would still be liable for the charges and a overt action like that could be seen as something similar to stopping payment on a check, which can get into the realm of criminal charges under certain circumstances.

you entered into a contractual relationship and are bound by that contract. If you believe you were mislead, pay the charges and sue the hotel based on the conditions you were given.

Last edited:

leelalee

I booked four rooms just in case, and actually only need 2. When booking them the hotel said as long as I called by Wednesday that I could cancel whatever rooms I didn't need. I called Wednesday and now they are telling me they have a 72 hr cancellation policy? The rooms are for tomorrow.

Since they haven't actually charged my card yet...I could still cancel my card right? And just fine another hotel to stay at?

justalayman

Also this was a verbal contract over the phone? Does that matter?
yes it does. It was a contract.

Now, the problem you would have prevailing is:

is the 72 hours their normal policy? Do they live and die by that policy?

If the answers are yes, you will have a difficult time winning in court.

If they are lax about it or you have something to support your side, you might prevail.

If you stand by your position that you acted within the time limit given you, at least dispute the charge through your credit card company. See where that gets you. That action would not be seen as criminal since you do not control whether the charges are dropped.

leelalee

they have not charged my card yet, it will be charged tomorrow when i check in, that is why i was thinking of cancelling the card they have the number for not showing up and staying at a different hotel???

Antigone*

they have not charged my card yet, it will be charged tomorrow when i check in, that is why i was thinking of cancelling the card they have the number for not showing up and staying at a different hotel???
You gave them the authorization to charge your card. They already have the proper authorization number to put a charge through. When they put the charge through it will go through. If you dispute the charge you will lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">