• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-roommates,eviction, paying off collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AW2142

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

A few years ago I got an apartment with two roommates. Eventually one of them left, the other couldn't pay rent, and I sure wasn't going to pay all the rent on my own. So we got evicted, ofcourse. The collection agency wont let me pay off 1/3 of what we owe and get it off my credit. I don't know where the other two are to try and talk to them and get them to pay their part. How do I go about getting this resolved? I just want each of us to pay a third of it and make it go away!

BL

Pay the bill , but it won't be taken off your credit report completely . It will just be marked as paid .

When you rent and your name along with the others is listed as a tenant , you are all liable jointly and individually responsible .

That is the Landlord/owner can seek damages from all or one .

Years ago and no whereabouts ,means you can't even sue your other room-mates .

Sorry , if you want credit reports marked paid ,you'll have to pay the amount .

You could try negotiating with the landlord to pay a lesser amount and get it in writing ,and have him/her file the Judgment as satisfied.

Then present that info to the CRAs.

sandyclaus

Sorry, but...

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

A few years ago I got an apartment with two roommates. Eventually one of them left, the other couldn't pay rent, and I sure wasn't going to pay all the rent on my own. So we got evicted, ofcourse. The collection agency wont let me pay off 1/3 of what we owe and get it off my credit. I don't know where the other two are to try and talk to them and get them to pay their part. How do I go about getting this resolved? I just want each of us to pay a third of it and make it go away!
The LL didn't get a judgment for 1/3 of the amount you want to pay, he got one for the full judgment on the unpaid rent.

Its called joint liability, and each one of the 3 roommates could individually be held liable for the full rent at any point.

I find it highly unlikely that the LL will accept just 1/3 of the judgment from you. He wants his money - ALL of it. It just so happens thay YOU are the only one he has found or that he is able to collect it from.

I hate to say it, but this is going to remain your full liability and damage your credit until you pay all THREE thirds of it off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">