• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anothasucka

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ND

After returning from Iraq I found all the credit cards maxed out, no bill paid and the wife asking for a divorce. We seperated bills as best as possible and it states who is responsible for which debt in the divorce decree. Now that she isn't paying any of hers, i am finding that I either pay them (to save my credit) or get taken to court since most of them are in my name only. Do I have a leg to stand on in a small claims court or what other choices do I have? Contempt of court on her behalf since she is not following the decree? But how will that help me to get her to either reimburse me or pay her bills? How is it possible to have a court ordered (approved) decree and she can get away with this? I could really use some good advice as to what my rights are and what I should do.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ND

After returning from Iraq I found all the credit cards maxed out, no bill paid and the wife asking for a divorce. We seperated bills as best as possible and it states who is responsible for which debt in the divorce decree. Now that she isn't paying any of hers, i am finding that I either pay them (to save my credit) or get taken to court since most of them are in my name only. Do I have a leg to stand on in a small claims court or what other choices do I have? Contempt of court on her behalf since she is not following the decree? But how will that help me to get her to either reimburse me or pay her bills? How is it possible to have a court ordered (approved) decree and she can get away with this? I could really use some good advice as to what my rights are and what I should do.
Unfortunately this happens not infrequently; your creditors won't care about the divorce and if you want to save your credit you'll have to pay them and then try to sue her for reimbursement.

Sorry it wasn't better news and thank you for your service to the country.

anothasucka

thanks

Unfortunately this happens not infrequently; your creditors won't care about the divorce and if you want to save your credit you'll have to pay them and then try to sue her for reimbursement.

Sorry it wasn't better news and thank you for your service to the country.
Thanks Dogmatique, thats what I figured but would like to think that there would be a some law against spouses who do this while someone is deployed fighting for world protection against terrorists. I have heard that during WWII the congress passed a law to protect the fighting Soldiers for this very reason. I think I need to go into politics and get this law back in force. Appreciate your response back so quickly. I'm giving a thimbs up because as a Soldier for 20+ years I have been trained to keep my head up and drive on.

Proserpina

Thanks Dogmatique, thats what I figured but would like to think that there would be a some law against spouses who do this while someone is deployed fighting for world protection against terrorists. I have heard that during WWII the congress passed a law to protect the fighting Soldiers for this very reason. I think I need to go into politics and get this law back in force. Appreciate your response back so quickly. I'm giving a thimbs up because as a Soldier for 20+ years I have been trained to keep my head up and drive on.
I feel your pain - unfortunately because you were still married at the time you did effectively give your consent to her racking up the bills.

It's unfair but (again unfortunately) it's not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">