• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Association, Forced to Rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pisces05

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hi, i live in a complex where they were renovating apartments and turning them in to 'condos' to sell - i bought one of these condos, and now since there are very few condos in the complex and the majority are renters, the owners have decided to buy back our condos, but they are forcing us to sign a lease to rent our own condo! we have no association since it was never set up. i need some advice on what legal action i can take - we have been paying our association fees for the past 3 years, with nothing to show for it! i do not want to stay here to rent, is there anything the state can do?? Please help - thank you!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hi, i live in a complex where they were renovating apartments and turning them in to 'condos' to sell - i bought one of these condos, and now since there are very few condos in the complex and the majority are renters, the owners have decided to buy back our condos, but they are forcing us to sign a lease to rent our own condo! we have no association since it was never set up. i need some advice on what legal action i can take - we have been paying our association fees for the past 3 years, with nothing to show for it! i do not want to stay here to rent, is there anything the state can do?? Please help - thank you!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: your story does not make sense. When an apartment building gets converted into a CPR (condo status), the entire property is issued status as a condo project. There is no taking each apartment and turning it into a condo unit. If you in fact did buy a condo unit, there is no law that requires you to sell it back and rent it. You need to do more research to obtain the correct facts.

Last edited:

Pisces05

Thanks for your reply - sorry if i wasn't clear! Its not just one apartment building - each building is made up of 4 units, they were remodeling one unit at a time and selling it as a condominium, customizing it to each purchaser's wants. Now that they have only sold a few, they want to go back to it as a renting only complex, since they dont have enough I am assuming to run it as a condominium association.

The only option they gave us is a purchase agreement with a 2 year lease attached as a contingency - which i am not interested in. They have not told us exactly what would happen if we chose not to sell it back to them, but mentioned that our HOA dues could increase etc, which is ridiculous.

HomeGuru

Thanks for your reply - sorry if i wasn't clear! Its not just one apartment building - each building is made up of 4 units, they were remodeling one unit at a time and selling it as a condominium, customizing it to each purchaser's wants. Now that they have only sold a few, they want to go back to it as a renting only complex, since they dont have enough I am assuming to run it as a condominium association.

The only option they gave us is a purchase agreement with a 2 year lease attached as a contingency - which i am not interested in. They have not told us exactly what would happen if we chose not to sell it back to them, but mentioned that our HOA dues could increase etc, which is ridiculous.
**A: are there recorded CC&R's on title? Are you paying monthly maintenance fees?

Pisces05

It doesn't look like there is a separate attachment for the CC&Rs - I do pay a monthly association fee, but they have never listed what I am paying for!

Certainly seems like it is time for you to consult with a lawyer.

May I suggest using the "Find an Attorney in Your Area" feature?

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">