• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Special Assessments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seye2009

Hi, I live in Chicago and in March this year, I signed my condo contract, and back then the assessments on the contract was stated as $170 per month. On the day of the closing i was slapped with a sudden notice that the assessments were now $184 per month..Since then I have been paying that amount diligently. Suddenly in Oct, I am told the assessments have increased since June by another $60 and the assessments were now $246 per month. I now need to pay arrears of $60 since June, including a late fee of $50 for each of the month since June. However, all this while they have been cashing my check for $184 and even sent me receipts for that amount.

I was not notified of the increase, Was not informed of any meeting to vote on this. Can a HOA do this?? to add insult to injury, last week there is another lump sum fee of $1400 for repairs which have to be paid upfront. I am also asked to pay $200 for some work done in my condo to comply with city code regulations and no one has come to my condo to do anything besides an exterminator. I now have an invoice of $2600 for Oct to count for all of the above.

Is this justified??Does anyone know what institution i can write to fight this?? Thanks very much

ecs

I was not notified of the increase, Was not informed of any meeting to vote on this. Can a HOA do this??

No. The Board must vote on any assessments or increases at an open public meeting - they must send a meeting notice with this item on the agenda, hold a proper meeting & vote, and provide minutes of the proceedings. I do not live in Illinois but I am sure there is a state agency for reporting this to.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">