• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Residence Hall/Dorm room mold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Louisianan

Louisiana.

I live in a private dorm on campus at a university in Louisiana.

The room has a considerable amount of black mold growing on the roof. The door frame has sunk about a half inch from the drywall leaving a gap between the door and the hall.

The mold is actively growing on the roof and also in my living area. For example, after I left a cold bottle of water on my desk, the ring of condensation developed a green mold.

The room has an antiquated window unit that shoots in a massive amount of dirt and dust from the construction site adjacent to the building.

My uncle is a medical doctor, when I told him about these issues he advised me that I should move out immediately and warned me that all of my clothing and personal items will have spores on them that will never be completely gone, meaning that I will have to throw away all of my clothing. Not to mention my pricey self-built computer that has a massive amount of airflow through it and undoubtedly contains spores.

He says this because he knows my medical history (allergies and a short bout of wheezing when I was younger) , and because of this I am developing a strong immunity to the molds growing in the room. He explained to me that this will put me at a very high risk for developing asthma, among other respiratory ailments.

My question is, from a legal standpoint, is the university liable for refunding my money for the room or paying for my personal belongings that have been ruined because of the mold?

Gail in Georgia

Before you toss out all your clothing and computer stuff, answer if your uncle the doctor bothered to mention testing to see if this mold is one of the two kinds among thousands of different strains that can trigger health issues in humans?

Run your clothes through the washing machine and dryer.

Gail

ecmst12

The green stuff on your glass was mildew, not mold. And have you actually been SICK? And have you reported the issue to the university and asked them to make repairs?

NikkiLee

Have you reported this to the University that should be the first thing you do! Ask to be moved to another room for the sake of your health. Personal belongings wise , who knows! Wash your clothes. If you have been living like it for a while then I would ask why you haven't requested to be moved sooner? Mould doesn't appear over night and so this must have been an issue for quite a while?!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">