• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Warranty for person to person sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SaintJohn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I recently sold a classic car that I pampered while I owned it (over 3 years). It was a 1977 model foreign sports car that had 112,000 miles on it. I only drove it 3,000 miles during my ownership.

When i sold the car it was mint and ran perfectly when i sold it. In good faith I warrantied that the car, to the best of my knowledge was mechanically sound and had no defects. At the time of sale, i signed a warranty against failure of the motor, drivetrain and suspension. I never stated in the warranty what i would do if these parts failed. It was silent in this respect.

3 weeks and 1,000 miles later, the guy called and said that the crankshaft, a piston rod and the main bearing blew. When i sold the car, it had oil and was running perfectly. Now, he is saying that it is going

I know that this was dumb for me to do, but the more that i think about the implications of the warranty, the more that i think, "how could i possibly know anything about the condition of car parts that 112k miles on it. Also, most mechanics tell me that these kind of malfunctions usually give you plenty of warning, unless the guy revved the engine real hard in the cold weather.

Is there such thing as an unreasonable warranty? Am I lieable? If so, what is the recourse since the warranty was silent in this respect?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I recently sold a classic car that I pampered while I owned it (over 3 years). It was a 1977 model foreign sports car that had 112,000 miles on it. I only drove it 3,000 miles during my ownership.

When i sold the car it was mint and ran perfectly when i sold it. In good faith I warrantied that the car, to the best of my knowledge was mechanically sound and had no defects. At the time of sale, i signed a warranty against failure of the motor, drivetrain and suspension. I never stated in the warranty what i would do if these parts failed. It was silent in this respect.

3 weeks and 1,000 miles later, the guy called and said that the crankshaft, a piston rod and the main bearing blew. When i sold the car, it had oil and was running perfectly. Now, he is saying that it is going

I know that this was dumb for me to do, but the more that i think about the implications of the warranty, the more that i think, "how could i possibly know anything about the condition of car parts that 112k miles on it. Also, most mechanics tell me that these kind of malfunctions usually give you plenty of warning, unless the guy revved the engine real hard in the cold weather.

Is there such thing as an unreasonable warranty? Am I lieable? If so, what is the recourse since the warranty was silent in this respect?
Seems to me that you're liable for the cost to repair the warrantied items, up to the value of the car.

SaintJohn

Seems to me that you're liable for the cost to repair the warrantied items, up to the value of the car.
Won't it be tough for them to prove that it wasn't their fault? In my original synopsis, i failed to mention that i was not responsible for repairs due to their own usage or negligence.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Won't it be tough for them to prove that it wasn't their fault? In my original synopsis, i failed to mention that i was not responsible for repairs due to their own usage or negligence.
Seems to me that you're going to have to prove that it WAS their fault, not the other way around. I stand by my original answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">