• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

set of keys, stuff stolen, ins won't replace locks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seemural

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Our van was broken into and they took 2 sets of keys, a digital camera, gold necklace, and dvd's, and a prescription bottle. (No, I'm not in the habit of leaving that stuff in the van- we were out of our routine, I was at a meeting, and the kids cleaned out the car when we got home from a wkend away, it was raining, and they missed stuff I had just laid down on the way home)
The insurance company will replace everything after the deductible, but they will not pay for our locks to be changed.
It was stolen from our driveway, so the thieves know some of thekeys will match our house, my office, and my van.
The ins co will cover making new keys, but will not change the locks.
this means the thief can break into our vehicle and buildings at any time.
Shouldn't the company be willing to pay to change the locks on the van and buildings? We changed our building locks already- had to- and we keep cleaning the van out every day of any valuables.
The ins company keeps putting us off. Help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Our van was broken into and they took 2 sets of keys, a digital camera, gold necklace, and dvd's, and a prescription bottle. (No, I'm not in the habit of leaving that stuff in the van- we were out of our routine, I was at a meeting, and the kids cleaned out the car when we got home from a wkend away, it was raining, and they missed stuff I had just laid down on the way home)
The insurance company will replace everything after the deductible, but they will not pay for our locks to be changed.
It was stolen from our driveway, so the thieves know some of thekeys will match our house, my office, and my van.
The ins co will cover making new keys, but will not change the locks.
this means the thief can break into our vehicle and buildings at any time.
Shouldn't the company be willing to pay to change the locks on the van and buildings? We changed our building locks already- had to- and we keep cleaning the van out every day of any valuables.
The ins company keeps putting us off. Help!
I don't see how the insurance company would be responsible for replacing the locks. The locks weren't stolen.

seemural

Very nice, thank you.
The thief/thieves now have a set of keys to our van, home and office. Therefore, they can break into our home anytime and steal more or kill us, which means the insurance company would have to pay more.If the insurance company would pay to change our home/office locks, it would protect them from having to pay out on a theft or injury claim.
If the insurance company would pay to change the van lock, the thief will not steal our van by using the key he took. Nor will he be able to get into our van and vandalize or steal the stereo,dvd player, etc.

Zings and lol? There is no need for sarcasm. That's just childish.

People assume insurance companies are here to protect us in many situations, even in situations where a simple mistake was made. We realize it was foolish to accidentally leave the stuff in our van.

My husband and daughter were just diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder. The medication alone will cost $175,000 per YEAR. And now, they think he might have an aortic aneurysm and need open heart surgery. I need all the help I can get in making sure my family is protected and my bills are paid.

Its a hard lesson to learn. Insurance doesn't cover everything just because we think it should.
I posted the question here, because I need help. Not 'witty sarcasm'.

Zigner

Very nice, thank you.
The thief/thieves now have a set of keys to our van, home and office. Therefore, they can break into our home anytime and steal more or kill us, which means the insurance company would have to pay more.If the insurance company would pay to change our home/office locks, it would protect them from having to pay out on a theft or injury claim.
If the insurance company would pay to change the van lock, the thief will not steal our van by using the key he took. Nor will he be able to get into our van and vandalize or steal the stereo,dvd player, etc.
Seems to me that, in order to protect yourself, your family and your belongings, you should replace the locks or, at the very least, have them rekeyed.

seemural

I agree with you. We have done that to the house and office. I had to borrow money to get it done. I'm trying to save up money to fix the van too. In the meantime, we're trying to make sure we empty it every day.
With money being so tight, it would have been nice if the insurance company would have picked up that cost.
I guess I was hoping someone with auto/theft insurance experience would see this post and be able to say that they knew companies that DO compensate for this problem. OR- I suppose they could say in favor of NOT. I just wanted more input from people with experience pertinent to our situation, besides what my agent and the adjustor tell me.
I'm doing my best. Thanks!

Zigner

I agree with you. We have done that to the house and office. I had to borrow money to get it done. I'm trying to save up money to fix the van too. In the meantime, we're trying to make sure we empty it every day.
With money being so tight, it would have been nice if the insurance company would have picked up that cost.
I guess I was hoping someone with auto/theft insurance experience would see this post and be able to say that they knew companies that DO compensate for this problem. OR- I suppose they could say in favor of NOT. I just wanted more input from people with experience pertinent to our situation, besides what my agent and the adjustor tell me.
I'm doing my best. Thanks!
I think you're looking for somebody to give you the answer you WANT - not the correct answer.

ecmst12

Your homeowners insurance might cover the cost to re-key the locks for your home...maybe even for the car too though that is less likely.

seemural

Zigner, YES!! You understand me perfectly. (now THAT'S funny!)
Maybe there will be some input provided to support my wishes!
Thanks again.

ecmst12

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that people who break into cars are not the same type of people who break into people's houses to kill them. If they wanted to do that, they probably would have the same night they got the keys. The most they might try is to break into your house when they think you're not home...and since you changed the locks, they would only be able to do that the old fashioned way (breaking a window or something like that). So I wouldn't worry too much about your personal safety.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">