• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repayment for auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ggal679

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Recently I was driving my neighbor's car and was involved in a car accident. The accident was my fault and my neighbor's father's insurance company covered the accident. Out of respect for my friend, I offered to pay the deductible, however his father is claiming that in addition to this fee I also owe him 1000+ in repairs he made prior to the accident which were not reimbursed by the insurance company. He has threatened to take me to small claims court if I do not cover this cost. I do not feel obligated to pay this as the insurance company compensated them for the damages according to the condition the vehicle was in, is this legally considered my responsibility?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Recently I was driving my neighbor's car and was involved in a car accident. The accident was my fault and my neighbor's father's insurance company covered the accident. Out of respect for my friend, I offered to pay the deductible, however his father is claiming that in addition to this fee I also owe him 1000+ in repairs he made prior to the accident which were not reimbursed by the insurance company. He has threatened to take me to small claims court if I do not cover this cost. I do not feel obligated to pay this as the insurance company compensated them for the damages according to the condition the vehicle was in, is this legally considered my responsibility?
If you damaged the vehicle and he was not made whole by the insurance company, why shouldn't you pay him???

ggal679

If you damaged the vehicle and he was not made whole by the insurance company, why shouldn't you pay him???
The repairs were made before the accident and the reimbursement by the insurance company were for the value of a working model of that vehicle before damage. I believe they are requesting further reimbursement beyond the value of the vehicle I was driving. To me this seems unethical and unable to hold in court, if I am not responsible for those costs I don't feel like I should be obligated to pay them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">