• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music driving me crazy!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rachelsmimi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I live in a mobile home park. I am the second lot in the park and am complaining about the neighbor who occupies the first lot. I'm his only neighbor. This gentleman has played loud, obscene music between the hours of 2am-6 or 7 am at least 3 days a week. I have called the police 6 times to complain and they do come out to tell the man to turn his music down, but he turns it back up within 20 minutes. I have also contacted the landlord twice, the first time the landlord claimed the tenant was not home to talk to him so "let's just let this go and see if it happens again", the second time I got a message on my voicemail from the landlord saying he's going out of town and "we'll have to take care of this later". This was one week ago and I still haven't heard back from the landlord.
It has been documented how loud his music is from the police, who had to kick the door hard with his foot so the tenant could hear someone knocking.
Please help me, I don't know how much longer I can go without much sleep!
Thankyou so much

JD4100

oh my gosh , i have a simular situation. The boys across the street tend to come home every weekend around 2AM - loud music blaring and pee on my lawn, before going inside their home. Its so awful. I am not a lawyer but i can tell you i called the police out and the told me to keep a record of how often it happens. With times and dates and any circumstances. Not sure what other advice i could give you , perhaps someone else can. But i would say keep calling the police and keep records of occurances. I hope it gets better for you. To be honest , once i followed my own advice i just gave you - it practically stopped. They got tired of cops coming and honestly it hasnt occured in awhile now.
So Stay Strong!

rachelsmimi

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, after 6 visits from the police, this gentleman has not let up on his music and the landlord has still not returned my call regarding the complaint. The rent is due today and I intend on including this letter in the envelope along with my rent check (I don't see him when I pay the rent, we have a drop off box). Here is the included letter:

To whom it may concern:

We wish to again bring to your attention the high noise level coming from lot #2. We live on lot #3 and have constantly been aggravated by the ongoing music playing between the hours of 2 AM-6AM, sometimes 6:30AM. We have attempted to resolve this problem by contacting the authorities; however the tenant turns the music back up within 20 minutes of the police officers arrival. My husband now sleeps with earplugs and I have begun to stay up all night so I may go to bed in peace in the morning time.
These are the dates since I last left a message with Dr. XXXXXX on Wednesday, October 21st that we have been disturbed by loud music:
- Saturday, October 24th
- Wednesday, October 28th
- Friday, October 30th
- Saturday, October 31st

We have lived here for over a year now and, up until recently, have thoroughly enjoyed living here. We look forward to getting this matter resolved so my husband and I can continue to live and enjoy the neighborhood.

Thank you for your attention to these matters.

Sincerely,

"TENANTS"
(606) XXX-XXXX

Hopefully it will get something done

rachelsmimi

OK, so apparently the letter did not work. I still haven't heard from the landlord and the music still plays all through the night. I don't know what else I can do. :mad:

FarmerJ

Keep calling the police and dont stop BUT do insist on getting report/incident numbers from the police dept and keep track of them, If you are able to get copies of the reports then what you want to do is include them in your next letter to the LL and simply ask again for them to resolve this matter , also ask the city/county atty if they normally send letters to LLs who have excessive nuisance complaints that are reported to the police. reason being if they do contact LLs at some point then perhaps they will do so and thats what it will take to get the LL to act.

rachelsmimi

Ugh, another update

Well I'm about to lose my mind. Saturday, the music started again around 2:30AM. I called the police, but this time, I asked them to come to my house instead. As soon as they pulled onto the drive, the music turned off. The police came into my home and I explained my frustration with the neighbor and asked what else I could do. The police officer stated that this gentlemen is well known within the dept, said "he thinks he's above the law". He also said he would get cited for disturbing the peace since he's already gotten two warnings, but they had to hear the music in order to cite him. They left shortly thereafter. About 15 minutes later, the music started up again. I called again, and he turned it off AGAIN when the cruiser pulled in. I don't know what I'm gonna do. The landlord still hasn't phoned me, after two phone messages and a letter I sent him so I don't know what to do!

csi7

Has the problem stopped yet? If not, have the police do a quiet call, no radio notification, and that should give the police officers the time they need to arrive and hear the noise for themselves at the time of your call. It was a process of working with the investigators, the department officers, and the communication personnel.

rachelsmimi

Update

No, the noise has not stopped yet. I have made numerous attempts to contact the landlord and still have not been contacted back. I wrote 2 letters and called his office 3 times and left messages. I have called the police and they no longer report it over the scanner because they think the neighbor may be listening in and turning his music off after the complaint is called out, but now he, in my opinion, looks out his window when he plays music, because as soon as the police cruiser pulls onto the drive, the music shuts off. Unfortunately, it comes back on after about 20-30 minutes. I broke down last week and called a lawyer but they told me the best thing for me to do is just move, something I can't afford to do right now. Hopefully something will happen soon before I go nuts!

edmund_o

Fight Back

Two recommendations:

1. Video tape the music, have the level measured.

2. Ask the police to leave an officer at you house after they leave after a complaint. They know of the earlier complaints and it keeps happening again. So they can bust him when he turns the music back on in 20 minutes. Or a unmarked car.

3. File a complaint in your local court. Their is always a way to get him to court. Bring the police reports and video. Have the court file some sort of "Good Behavior" agreement.

Be calm, report, court and behave on your side. Be on the side of right, but do not quit. This is nothing compared to my neighbor issues.

See 'firing in threating manner' and 'neighbor removed my property corner'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">