• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suing a teacher

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coreyjames25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois

this may seem as a dumb question but as a student striving for succes getting into a top university is a msut. yesterday I printed out an inappropriate paper. the teacher saw it and gave me detention, which is fair. but she also said she would drop my overall grade in that class 10%. which is the participation part of her course. now I believe that is unlawful due to the fact it would state what my grade is not the grade I earned. I readily particpate in that class and for be to get no credit for it is hogwash.

Thank You.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois

this may seem as a dumb question but as a student striving for succes getting into a top university is a msut. yesterday I printed out an inappropriate paper. the teacher saw it and gave me detention, which is fair. but she also said she would drop my overall grade in that class 10%. which is the participation part of her course. now I believe that is unlawful due to the fact it would state what my grade is not the grade I earned. I readily particpate in that class and for be to get no credit for it is hogwash.

Thank You.
You can sue her for this (anyone can sue anyone for anything) but you wont' get anywhere. Except maybe paying HER attorney fees for a frivolous lawsuit. She has a right to drop your grade.

racer72

Based on the spelling and grammar in your post, I would also suggest some remedial education if you have any hopes of getting into a top university. My grandson that is in 4th grade could have done a better job of presenting the info that is in your post.

JD4100

Do your parents or guardian know about this? Perhaps they could have a cival conversation with your teacher. I agree with the detention , but dropping your grade if you really are a student who usually gives 100% in class, is a bit extreme.
Is this the first time this has happened? or is there a history of problems with this teacher?
Why not talk to the teacher. Have a mature conversation with him/her. These type of coping skills will have a great effect on you later on in University. Ask if there is any extra credit you can do to make up for the 10% drop. Explain you know what you did was inappropriate. Start paying better attention in class , do whatever it takes to make up that 10%. Again , learning to cope with this SMALL set back , will do you a great benefit later on in life.
Good luck and do not allow this to set you back in your goals to get a great education.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Seriously dropping a grade an entire letter is NOT necessarily improper -- what was the INAPPROPRIATE paper printed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">