• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Having to pay 20% of my salary to my former employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

msoto

Hi,

Right now I am working for a consulting company, and another company is interested in me. When I singed the contract, there were some clauses, saying that if I leave the company before completing one year I have to pay US$15.000, AND that if a new about the other company directly or indirectly because of my current employer, I would have to give them 20% of my income.

I got to know about the other company because one of the people who work with me at the customer's place. He does not work for my company.

The company interested in me agrees to pay the US$15.000, since I have been with my employer for only 6 months, but the don't understand the other clause, and neither do I.

Does this clause apply to me? Can they enforce that clause on me? What can I do?

I signed the contract under Massachusetts law. I am working in California now.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

[Edited by msoto on 03-23-2001 at 08:24 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">