• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer sent a notice asking for insurance coverage info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yingyang

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Florida

First of all, I couldn't think of a good title for this topic.

Okay, so here's the deal. This is based on what my mom told me since it was her car. My mom hit the car in front of her, she hit the towing ball thing that pickup trucks have. Sorry, I don't know the specific name. My mom's car front bumper was cracked, but it never touched the other person's back bumper, just the tow ball. The other person said it's okay since he didn't sustain any damage and both parties left without sharing any information.

Then today we receive a letter from a lawyer stating that they tried to ascertain our insurance coverage. If we don't give them our information, then they will take it to court.

Now, this happened a month and a half ago. My insurance company said no one filed a claim or tried to. So I don't get it, is this person trying to get something out of nothing? This just doesn't make sense, I would think that if a person was trying to get a auto accident claim that they would notify us within the first week, not a month and a half later.

So should I call my insurance company and tell them about this issue or should I just hire a lawyer?

Thanks.

ecmst12

The person could have been injured. The reason no claim has been filed is because apparently they don't have the insurance info. Mom needs to provide the company and policy number, and also provide her insurance company with a statement about what happened. They will take it from there.

H

hopekendrick

insurance covearage

:confused: Well I had something like this happen to me about two months ago, while I was sitting at the gas pump, the woman was in a parking spot, and backed out into me, this is after I moved my truck back so she wouldnt hit me, and she hit hard to, but it only scraped my bumper and that was it. Had I not moved she would have creamed the whole front end. She looked like she didnt have any coverage at all, neither of us were hurt so I let it pass. the next day I put full coverage on my car, in case this ever happened again. I didnt ever tell my agent that, being it was no damage. I dont really see where this person could have been hurt at all, anything like whip lash usually comes on quick like. i guess the best thing for you to do is go talk to your agent first, and see what they think you should do. A very good agent will know what to do in any instance. I know I will tell mine the next time this happens, just in case someone does this too me. Let your agent give that lawyer your information.It could be a scam. My husbands sister just bought her a car yesterday and got hit today and it totaled her car out. All she was doing with stopping behind another car and some one hit her from behind, that quick and pushed her into the car that was stopped in front of her. She was hurt right then. But shes out of the hospital and at home now, but she has no way to go.thank fully, she had alot of witnesses, but the guy tried to leave the scene and that is not good.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Agents have no business with claims. That's why there's a claims office. That's who mom needs to call, and there is no reason she should even attempt to withhold her policy info from the person she hit.

FlyingRon

It's required to disclose the policy limits in Florida. I don't agree with that, but once the suit is filed they'll need to be disclosed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">