• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vindictive Board ordering me to remove washer/dryer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caowner2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My board is vindictively ordering me to remove a washer/dryer that was installed a year ago as payback for complaining about other unrelated actions of the board.

I installed a washer/dryer a year ago. I originally asked for permission to install the units about 6 months before installation as our condo allows washer/dryers but requires "board approval". The board asked me for blueprints of the proposed project and reminded me that only "ventless" dryers are allowed.

I never sent them blueprints as the installer didn't have that facility. And the representative of our management company informed me during the beginning of my installation that proper approval had not been given for the installation.

However, the rep told me verbally that ""she had worked it out with the board and everything is OK now." She then step by step worked with me on all of the installation steps: talking to my contractor, approving a vent that needed to be added even though the dryer was ventless etc. There are about 20 emails over a 3 month period that shows that she was not only aware I was installing these units but working with me on the project and told me that she was working on my behalf with the board.

After the units were installed, she said that she wanted to inspect the installation to make sure I used a ventless dryer etc. I made three appointments with her but she never showed up.

Fast forward to one year later, I get a letter from the condo association lawyer that says that I must immediately remove the washer/dryers or they will take legal action against me because I didn't get prior approval from the board.

This letter comes on the heels of other complaints I have made about the underhanded dealings of the board and our management company: I believe I am getting retribution for speaking out against the board's actions.

Questions:

1. Does the Management company's countenance of my washer/dryer installation make the installation approved?

2. What legal actions could the HOA take against me to make me remove the washer/dryer?

3. How do I handle the retribution aspect?

I would prefer not to hire a lawyer and escalate the rhetoric at this point.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My board is vindictively ordering me to remove a washer/dryer that was installed a year ago as payback for complaining about other unrelated actions of the board.

I installed a washer/dryer a year ago. I originally asked for permission to install the units about 6 months before installation as our condo allows washer/dryers but requires "board approval". The board asked me for blueprints of the proposed project and reminded me that only "ventless" dryers are allowed.

I never sent them blueprints as the installer didn't have that facility. And the representative of our management company informed me during the beginning of my installation that proper approval had not been given for the installation.

However, the rep told me verbally that ""she had worked it out with the board and everything is OK now." She then step by step worked with me on all of the installation steps: talking to my contractor, approving a vent that needed to be added even though the dryer was ventless etc. There are about 20 emails over a 3 month period that shows that she was not only aware I was installing these units but working with me on the project and told me that she was working on my behalf with the board.

After the units were installed, she said that she wanted to inspect the installation to make sure I used a ventless dryer etc. I made three appointments with her but she never showed up.

Fast forward to one year later, I get a letter from the condo association lawyer that says that I must immediately remove the washer/dryers or they will take legal action against me because I didn't get prior approval from the board.

This letter comes on the heels of other complaints I have made about the underhanded dealings of the board and our management company: I believe I am getting retribution for speaking out against the board's actions.

Questions:

1. Does the Management company's countenance of my washer/dryer installation make the installation approved?

**A: no, read your condo docs.

################

2. What legal actions could the HOA take against me to make me remove the washer/dryer?

**A: every legal action under the extent of the law.

##########
3. How do I handle the retribution aspect?

**A: comply.

##########

I would prefer not to hire a lawyer and escalate the rhetoric at this point.
**A: then comply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">