• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court (Ohio) and Pain/Suffering due to negligence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sidmanm

Hi - within the State of Ohio, the small claims court does not allow for suing in small claims court based on an accident. I am looking for your advice if negligence would open the door for a pain/suffering claim in addition to medical bills.

In greater detail, a loved one went to a spa for a nail treatment service in Ohio. It is my understanding that a nail treatment has to be applied by a licensed manicurist in the State of Ohio. Due to negligence in how the service was applied, likely through either unclean tools, excessive force, or a combination of the two, the loved one experienced a combination of several medical bills, including nail removal, and a substantial amount of pain as a result.

Given the outcome of the service, it would seem that negligence - versus the outcome being an accident - would open up a small claim for the medical bills and a fair remuneration for pain. Small claims court limit is $3,000.

Your thoughts?

Antigone*

Hi - within the State of Ohio, the small claims court does not allow for suing in small claims court based on an accident. I am looking for your advice if negligence would open the door for a pain/suffering claim in addition to medical bills.

In greater detail, a loved one went to a spa for a nail treatment service in Ohio. It is my understanding that a nail treatment has to be applied by a licensed manicurist in the State of Ohio. Due to negligence in how the service was applied, likely through either unclean tools, excessive force, or a combination of the two, the loved one experienced a combination of several medical bills, including nail removal, and a substantial amount of pain as a result.

Given the outcome of the service, it would seem that negligence - versus the outcome being an accident - would open up a small claim for the medical bills and a fair remuneration for pain. Small claims court limit is $3,000.

Your thoughts?
The loved one can sue for reimbursement of her medical bills and call it a day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">