• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My employer doesn't want to pay me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasonk7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO
I work seasonally as an actor in a haunted house here in Denver. I worked last year for over 1 week and was paid at the end of the season. This year, I was able to work for 10 days before becoming sick because of loss of voice and flu symptoms. I did not call in to my employer right away because of problems with the sim card in my cell phone, but I did call him today to find out when to pick up the check. He told me that they told everyone in orientation at the 1st of the month (which I was not there for) that anyone who does not call in when they are sick will forfeit all of their pay for the season. I was hired this season around the middle of the month and no one ever told me of this rule this year or last year. What can I expect in small claims court?

yyarboro

Don't sue yet

Do this:
1. Contact the Colorado Division of Labor toll-free at 1-888-390-7936
2. Contact the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Dept of Labor. The local office number for Colorado is 1-866-487-9243

Tell them what happened and let them handle it first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">