• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trethecat

There was a warrant issued for my arrest 3/11/1998. The warrant was quashed on 6/11/98. I have a copy of the quashing order. I was arrested on 11/12/2000 for that warrant after it was already taken care of. It was still in the cops computer. I was 5 and 1/2 months pregnant at the time. I not sure if this has anything to do with it but my son was born with a heart condition. Can I sue for false arrest? Who do I sue? How much should I ask for?
I lived in Shoreline, Washington at the time. It was a Lynnwood Police Officer. I was taken to the Snohomish county jail. My boyfriend went to a bail bondsmen and paid my bail. I was detained for about 12 hours.

JETX

In my opinion based solely on your post, you MIGHT have a case of false arrest and/or false imprisonment.

However, if the arrest was not based on malice or negligence, you probably have a weak case. Depending on where you live, and the circumstances of the 'quash', you could be responsible for making sure that all records of the warrant were removed and this would considerably weaken your possible case. Further, there are a lot of other factors that could damage your case.

Your other questions (who, how much) can only be answered by an attorney familiar with all the specifics of your case.

Since you were only held for 12 hours, I believe that your damages (if any) would be minimal and probably not worth pursuing, but the final decision is yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">