• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rural neighbor disturbance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AR
I live in a rural area, and someone (who also happens to be a cousin of mine! UGH!) bought the property next to us. Tonight, there was loud music, drinking and shooting (a lot of it) and I overheard one say "I think you got it". Well, I phoned the county sherriff. He told me he was also informing the Game and Fish Commission. Well, later my phone rang with a confrontation of this person who said that the Game and Fish told them it was my husband (which it was me, the wife) that called. He said that he was going to "find my husband out some where and give him an attitude adjustment." He informed me that he is going to have a shooting range and outdoor speakers going all the time and there wasn't anything I can do about it. He was angry because of the 2,000 fine, but told me the sherriff assured him he could get out of it at court because he wasnt doing a breathalyzer! do I have to live with this situation, and of course I fear for my husband because of the threat but know too, that a restraining order isnt worth the paper its on! We truly are in a rural area, what can I do?

immediaterly report the threat to the police, keep a log of all activity and if you keep it up, he will probably move. No one is really going to hurt your husband, especially if there are reports in place showing a pattern of harassment.

thanks so much for your reply. i am going to follow your instructions and hope for the best its all i can do i believe at this point. thanks again!

justalayman

you need to be aware of the laws concerning noise and guns. If they are not breaking any specific law, forcing then to do anything becomes difficult.

a cousin? any chance of the family helping?

thank you. well, yes this area is nothing but family. honestly other than his mom and dad and his drinking buddy that lives at the end of the lane, there is no one else who cares for him. he has shot three dogs, 1 was a breeder english bull dog worth thousands of dollars!
he throws beer cans and the empty cases in peoples yards, and if he kills an animal, you might find the guts in your driveway, he is just so spiteful!
how can i locate specific laws pretaining to the rural part of my area? any tips there?
as i stated before he thinks he is so untouchable and can do what he wants. he wants to just bully people, you know the type. and to beat it all this loose cannon has a conceled weapon permit. he was sure to tell me if he feels threatened he can shoot and kill no questions asked!
i was able to contact a good friend of mine who works as an office in another county, but who is from this area. he told me i needed to report it also. its a shame that the deputy told who it was on an anonymous call, and didnt give him a breathalyer and told him he can show and get out of it because he didnt! how can you report an incident to people sworn to protect you when they are the ones who put our lives at risk via a threat by the one we turned in!

justalayman

for the laws: depending what type of area you live in;

the local municipal council for ordinances

the local police; they generally are aware of such laws, generally without research even

a local attorney

the DA for your area

------------

as to the threats (and yes, I read it as a threat); yes, you should report it to the the police.

thank you justalayman! appreciate that, now, will have to do some digging to see what i have to tolerate and what i dont!

drewguy

how can you report an incident to people sworn to protect you when they are the ones who put our lives at risk via a threat by the one we turned in!
I would go into the police station and speak to whoever's in charge or the deputy. Explain the situation and your concerns with respect to them telling who reported it. They shouldn't do that, generally speaking, for exactly the reason you point out. Make your point stronger by telling them the consequences. Ask him to remind the police force not to do this, particularly with respect to this neighbor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">