• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto insurance requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calmncool2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico -

I was not sure where to post this auto insurance question so I put it here. I am a single parent living in New Mexico with one vehicle and two teens with drivers licenses. But, I am the only driver of the vehicle. Is it required that I add my teens to my insurance policy? I do not have the funds to add them to this policy. I received a letter from my insurer and they had "discovered" that I had a teen and added her to my policy, raising my premium, and taking away my discount. I also have my homeowners policy with this company. Can I argue that I am the only driver? They have the teen listed as an operator. I do not see why they "found" one teen and not the sibling. What are the laws concerning auto insurance?

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico -

I was not sure where to post this auto insurance question so I put it here. I am a single parent living in New Mexico with one vehicle and two teens with drivers licenses. But, I am the only driver of the vehicle. Is it required that I add my teens to my insurance policy? I do not have the funds to add them to this policy. I received a letter from my insurer and they had "discovered" that I had a teen and added her to my policy, raising my premium, and taking away my discount. I also have my homeowners policy with this company. Can I argue that I am the only driver? They have the teen listed as an operator. I do not see why they "found" one teen and not the sibling. What are the laws concerning auto insurance?

Thanks.
Your teens would need to be specifically excluded from coverage.

ecmst12

If you are 100% certain that your kids will never try to drive your car, with or without your permission, then you may be able to exclude them from coverage. But don't do it unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE. Because if the WERE to drive your car, and cause an accident, you would still be liable, and your insurance company wouldn't cover it.

calmncool2

If you are 100% certain that your kids will never try to drive your car, with or without your permission, then you may be able to exclude them from coverage. But don't do it unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE. Because if the WERE to drive your car, and cause an accident, you would still be liable, and your insurance company wouldn't cover it.
I understand the liability issue of allowing my kids to drive without insurance. I want to know if I am required to have them insured because they live with me. That seems to be the message that I have taken from the letter I received from the insurance company.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand the liability issue of allowing my kids to drive without insurance. I want to know if I am required to have them insured because they live with me. That seems to be the message that I have taken from the letter I received from the insurance company.
We answered your question.

FlyingRon

Insurance companies are free to make their own requirements. Many won't write a policy that wouldn't cover the licensed teens living at the same address.

ecmst12

If they live with you and are licensed, then they MUST be either listed or excluded from the policy, or insured elsewhere (if they have their own cars). And not all states allow exclusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">