• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Testing Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rod Dew

I took a job that was supposed to be drug screened. But prior to employment it was not conveniant for employer to do drug srceening. Can I be fired for refusing drug sreening after employment in Michigan.

A

Always searching

A business usually has a 90 day probationary period where certain qualifications need to be met. There is a background check and a federal and state background check and these checks usually take longer than 6 weeks-hence the 90 days. If your job is pending the results of a drug test and you refuse, you more than likely will be let go before the probation period is up. Your new hire paperwork you signed-I am certain you signed some papers-will further emphasize the agreement that you are required to take a drug test. Do you have something to hide? Your question raised a red flag with me and if you dispute this subject at work, it would advertise to me that you indeed use drugs and I would put you on a list for random drug screen too.

R

Rod Dew

Always Searching
No I do not use drugs!!! And you just supposed it because of my question. That is like judging a book by its cover. I am a beleiver of a persons rights. I do not like the idea of a person or company having access to something as disscriminate as your bodily fluids. There is a lot they could do with that. Also I do not remember signing any probationary period paper work. I work out of a referral hall.

[Edited by Rod Dew on 03-25-2001 at 08:06 AM]

A

Always searching

You signed something or you wouldn't be working. You put in your SS# and your I9 and probably some sort of agreement with the company or you wouldn't be getting a paycheck. Our theory was, you refuse a drug screen, you must be independently wealthy and don't want a job or don't want one with this company. Look at it from their point of view for just a minute. What do they have to gain if you leave? They will just have a position open for another person. I realize you are an important person in this world and this company will come to realize that however there are certain liabilities that they have to protect themeselves from if the person operating machinery etc is on drugs. Would you like your co-worker strung out on drugs and driving a fork lift near you. Think about that for a little while and consider those consequences. How about someone loading a pallet of 1/2 plywood? What if he or she freaks out half way up to the rafter? If you don't position a forklift just right, the banding will break and that is dangerous for anyone within a 50 foot area. I don't know if you use drugs and of course I don't know you but I have seen results of someone screwing up someone else's life and lives because they were on drugs on the job. I paid attention to what people said and if I caught wind of someone's drug use, I was a tyrant but one has to think about other people and the quality of other people's lives, not just your own. I understand about bodily fluids and yes, people are doing some screwy things with body fluids but you can understand where I am coming from.

R

Robert Flynn

Another thought

I know insurance companies nor any employer will change their drug policies over my post but I would like to relate my first hand experience with drugs in the workplace.
Cocaine users always come to work.... they have to, they need the money, coke is expensive. Same goes for pot users, it can be expensive, so they need a full paycheck. Now for the legal drugs, alcohol users have a problem showing up for work, when they do show, they are in a nasty mood, hug over from the night before. Tobacco users show up, take more breaks than most until they die which is usually pretty soon. Also drug testing will usually show pot use within 2 to 4 weeks, but cocaine, herion and etc. don't show up if not used for a few days to a week before the test. If you look at the statistics, alcohol and tobacco take a much larger toll and expense on society but hey they are taxable so they must be OK

R

Rod Dew

I am no spring chicken, I have worked in the auto plants and on lots of jobs with a lot of different people. And you can tell when somebody is incapable of doing the job. And in my past experiences I would rather be in a lift 60 feet up with a man that just smoked cannibus than with a man that just went to lunch and drank 6 beers. I just don't like giving somebody my urine.

B

Bpjok

d-testing hot topic

I know of a couple family & friends who have been fired from factory work after 10t yrs. for pot in the pee. I believe these unfortunates were singled out to cut company cost. Supervisors knew they were capable of the job, and heard gossip about their individual relaxation techniques and that one was going to her doctor more often than the younger days. They select those that out live their profitable usefulness. Unless there is probable cause NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO SUBMIT. Even the police must have probable cause to Search. It would not be difficult for a company to secure truthful employee statements to draw probable cause to search for substances that could impair performance. It seems companys can fire you at will anyway these days. PEOPLE MUST WORK TO FEED AND SHELTER LOVE ONES NOT PURCHASE DOPE. If they are using enough for others to notice that is probable cause in the work place. Pearl Jones

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">