• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm being robbed by my attorney, help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mannyboy610

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington DC/Virginia

To give a little background on the situation I was rear ended about 6 months ago. The impact was so bad my car was totaled and the car that I got pushed into was totaled as well. I was taking to the emergency room in an ambulance where the diagnosis was whip lash. Through a referral I retained the services of my current attorney (In Wash DC). He suggested I go to a chiropractor for physical therapy which I did. He later contacted saying that he spoke with the insurance company and I was getting $9K. I come to find out that the total was offer is for $9K not just my portion. My lawyer then tells me that after his 33% and the doctor’s fees of around $6K that I will only get a couple of hundred! He says he will try to negotiate the medical liens and his fee down but since his initial amount to me was a couple of hundred the prospect of getting more doesn’t look good. He says I that I verbally agreed to settle and it’s final, but I haven’t signed any release forms or anything. He insists that I go to his office and endorse a check and sign a release. Is there anything I can do at this point? Is it okay that he gets more (significantly more) than me from this settlement. Any advice you can provide is appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

If you didn't sign anything then you can refuse the settlement. But there may not be much more for you to get, if there were multiple injured parties and it's a minimum limits policy. Not to mention that your injuries were pretty minor.

So, what was it you were looking to get? 10k?

If your lawyer thought you could get more, then he would have held out for more...

He's not robbing you, your expectations were too high.

Mannyboy610

E.Rodriguez

It's not that my expectation were to high. I just think it isn't fair that I'm getting a couple of hundred dollars and he's getting about $3K. You must be lawyer....

ecmst12

You're getting $6k. It just so happens that you have medical bills that have to be paid before anything goes into your pocket.

Mannyboy610

???

Read my original post again. $9K from the insurance minus $6K medical bills - 33% lawyer fee. How does that equal $6k for me?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Read my original post again. $9K from the insurance minus $6K medical bills - 33% lawyer fee. How does that equal $6k for me?
One more time.

YOU are receiving $9,000.00

YOU agreed to pay 33% of THAT $9,000 to your attorney
That leaves YOU $6,000. But, you have medical bills to pay out of your portion.

Nobody is robbing you. You just don't comprehend it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">