• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

association creating rules based on their personal taste

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harrison2009

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I moved into my Condo almost two years ago.
The association was formed just two months ago.
The association distributed a list of new rules and regulations just last week.
In this new list of rules, the association has indicated that it will now be against the rules to place a flower box on the exterior of any balcony.

I placed four planter boxes on the exterior of my balcony in early June(well before the Association was formed).IN an email to me, the association president said that he was fine with my boxes and that the rule was in fact created with one person in mind, to force her to clean up her balcony.( which seems wrong to begin with, rules should be created with the good of all in mind, not to control one persons behavior)

Can the association force me to remove my flower boxes or are they obliged to allow me to keep my boxes due to the fact that they were completed prior to the association being formed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I moved into my Condo almost two years ago.
The association was formed just two months ago.
The association distributed a list of new rules and regulations just last week.
In this new list of rules, the association has indicated that it will now be against the rules to place a flower box on the exterior of any balcony.

I placed four planter boxes on the exterior of my balcony in early June(well before the Association was formed).IN an email to me, the association president said that he was fine with my boxes and that the rule was in fact created with one person in mind, to force her to clean up her balcony.( which seems wrong to begin with, rules should be created with the good of all in mind, not to control one persons behavior)

Can the association force me to remove my flower boxes or are they obliged to allow me to keep my boxes due to the fact that they were completed prior to the association being formed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: the HOA can force you to remove the planters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">