• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verizon, Citibank & me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

farkelnagelmak

I noticed an obscure entry on my Citibank online checking account. I called and found out it was an automated payment to Verizon for a phone. I called Verizon and bottom line, I've been paying for a Mr. Jones' phone. I tried to get them to help me determine how this occurred and when it started. It's been 2 months of effort and no results. They will not tell me bubkis. Citibank takes an inovative approach. Their position is that - if they make an error, steal from you, help someone else steal from you, or anything of this type; you have 60 days to catch them. So they stopped the last 3 payments and refused to discuss it further. I paid Citibank $425 for 7 years back checking statements (85 statements at $5 per) and searched for the one-line entries on each statement. The total with the cost of determining the fraudulant damage $3780.99. I sent an email to some anti-fraud group of which Verizon is a member, hoping to force them to investigate and call me back as opposed to merely lying about calling me back. They called me once saying they investigated and to complete the investigation they need a copy of "the check" that opened the account. They say a "signed check" paying a bill or a "voided" check is required to open a direct payment option. They send the check to the bank where it is kept. Of course, Citibank refuses to even discuss the issue. I asked Verizon to provide a copy of the check. They say they never made a copy. I would hate to let any of these "unhelpful" entities just get away with this. Any ideas on what my next step should be?

I'm in New York City, by the way.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

With a reference to "bubkis", we all knew you were from New York. Who else in the whole world would use that Yiddish word, but a New Yorker ? Probably from Brooklyn or the Bronx ? It's the emmes.

Anyway, and despite the 60 day rule, why not "go to the big spin" and sue them in Small Claims court anyway ? Who can tell ? You might get the "brass ring".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">